Sunset Boulevard TCM Big Screen Event

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
Mrs. Danvers

Re: Sunset Boulevard TCM Big Screen Event

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:11 pm
I loved Baby Jane and Charlotte. Beautiful and well made movies. I go back and forth on Bette Davis. Sometimes I think she is a genius, but then I see an interview with her and she seems like a super hoity toity too-serious-sally.
Bette Davis was never my favorite actress, although I do think she was a good actress, I personally never think of her as a great actress, I have to check out her filmography and see if anything leaps out at me.
I like your "hoity toity too serious sally assessment" of Miss Davis. "Putting on airs" as my old grandma would have said.

The thing with Bette Davis is what I call The John Wayne School of Acting. It didn't matter if the Duke was playing Genghis Khan or Rooster Cogburn, he was still John Wayne. Whereas most actors become the character and the self fades away. For me it is the same with Bette Davis, she is always Bette Davis. I liked her the best as Baby Jane and Charlotte. Where she was almost a caricature of herself.
donnie wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:44 pm

Oh yeah! :db: The funniest thing ever. They did that in several different sketches. "How dare you insult de greet Nora Desmond!!" :lol: I loved Harvey Korman.
And the second funniest thing ever was her Scarlett O'Hara, where she has that green dress made out of her drapes. :lol:
Carol.jpg
Carol.jpg (23.11 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

donnie

Re: Sunset Boulevard TCM Big Screen Event

Post by donnie »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:52 am
And the second funniest thing ever was her Scarlett O'Hara, where she has that green dress made out of her drapes. :lol:
Definitely!! :lol: An all-time classic.