What Talkies Are You Watching?

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
donnie

Re: What Talkies Are You Watching?

Post by donnie »

Interesting questions. I'm afraid I can't really answer any of them—other than just artistic license, I guess. :) Yes, Agnes Moorhead was quite a talented and striking actress.

By the way, I recently watched some of a Dick Cavett show with Welles when he was older. He had some fascinating stories to tell about famous and interesting people he'd known.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:42 pm
Interesting questions. I'm afraid I can't really answer any of them—other than just artistic license, I guess. :) Yes, Agnes Moorhead was quite a talented and striking actress.

By the way, I recently watched some of a Dick Cavett show with Welles when he was older. He had some fascinating stories to tell about famous and interesting people he'd known.
I totally thought Mrs. Danvers had replied to my original post. Otherwise, I wouldn't have asked you about the sexiness of Orson Welles. :lol:
Where did you see the Cavett episode? I have like 150 on record. I'll get to them all eventually. :D
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yeah, I'll let you and Mrs. D make that determination. :)

Here is the clip I was referring to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_PUUHLknDI

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:22 am
I totally thought Mrs. Danvers had replied to my original post. Otherwise, I wouldn't have asked you about the sexiness of Orson Welles. :lol:
😂😂 I'm sorry but that is just too funny, lol
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:59 pm
Kitty wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:22 am
😂😂 I'm sorry but that is just too funny, lol
Isn't it?! Ooooops. :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

If you want my body and you think I'm sexy
Come on sugar let me know

Yes I agree that the younger Orson Welles was a very attractive man.

Oh mercy! :lol: did I already share this story someplace else, about Orson Welles. When he starred in and directed Touch of Evil playing the grossly obese and downright bad looking Hank Quinlan?

He was arriving at a party still dressed in costume and in make-up as Hank Quinlan, when some woman he knew spotted him and said "Why Orson, you look marvelous", or something to that effect, I can't find the original story. but you get the gist.

Oh here's Hank if you have not seen Touch of Evil, which is a brilliant movie. It's right up there with The Lady from Shanghai in regards to being a cinematic gem.
220px-Touch-of-Evil-Orson-Welles.jpg
220px-Touch-of-Evil-Orson-Welles.jpg (19.81 KiB) Viewed 3781 times
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I just watched The Trial of Mary Dugan (1929) after listening to the radio adaptation a few days ago. This is a really good one, a bit of a tear jerker, and Norma Shearer is great in it. There is a lot here that couldn't happen in a court room, but the dramatic acting is good in my opinion.

https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/d ... mary-dugan

Here's the radio version if you'd like to hear it.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I watched The Most Dangerous Game (1932), and while I thought it was a great premise, it was marred by unexceptional cinematography, no atmosphere, and regular acting. I wonder if the new version is more to my liking?

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I've been watching a series of Hal Roach two-reel comedies starring Thelma Todd and Patsy Kelly. In a curious way, as a female comedy duo, they could be described as the Laverne & Shirley of the Thirties. Todd's untimely and mysterious death ended the series quite abruptly.

Once I'm through with these I'll be watching the ones that came immediately before, in which Todd co-starred with ZaSu Pitts. I think Pitts ended that partnership by accepting an offer from another studio.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm not sure I've seen anything with ZaSu in it, but I've definitely heard her in radio.