What Talkies Are You Watching?

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
Kitty

Re: What Talkies Are You Watching?

Post by Kitty »

Those seem very interesting, especially the revue. I don't think I've ever seen one of those before.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:09 pm
Those seem very interesting, especially the revue. I don't think I've ever seen one of those before.
I can link you up to one if you want!
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:13 pm
Kitty wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:09 pm
I can link you up to one if you want!
I'd love it! I will have all day Saturday to watch movies and relax. I'm going to catch up on Joby, too! 😁
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

► Show Spoiler
BettyLouSpence wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:58 pm
I also really liked the scene between Mayme and her boyfriend where they're taking inventory in the department store after hours (after Janie lied to Mayme about having a "splittin' headache"... Janie's always lying :lol: )
Yes, that was a really sweet scene. "Are ya scared now?" :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I caught the last half of A Star Is Born from 1937. This was in color, and I thought it was great. We have a streaming service that just added channels to it, and one is a movie channel. There are very minimal commercials, and it is very pleasant to watch.

Anyway, the only version of this movie I've seen was the new one with Lady Gaga, so it was interesting to watch this one. I thought the acting was great, too, and it's surprising how adult the content is.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I watched It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World today. I haven't seen it since I was a kid but I still clearly remembered Jimmy Durante kicking the bucket and the big W, among other scenes :) It's free to watch on YouTube, just with ads (luckily they become less frequent as the film goes on). It was fun getting to spot Buster Keaton and ZaSu Pitts.
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:11 pm
I watched It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World today.
We had lots of tapes in the house when I was little, and this was one, but I have never seen this one. I didn't know it had names like that in it!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I watched High Noon for the first time tonight.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

I have to comment about It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, that movie is an all time favorite of ours, we have it and I bet we have watched it at least 50 times over the years. We can quote all of the dialogue by heart and often entertain ourselves using lines whenever they fit into our daily life conversations. It sure is a whos who of comedic talent. Jonathan Winters especially is very dear to my heart. He reminds me so much of my father, he was a big guy with an insanely funny sense of humor.

I have been keeping busy watching film noirs and horror movies lately, I'll come back later with some favorites.

Quickly Road House 1948 starring Ida Lupino and Richard Widmark.

Jefty (Richard Widmark) plays a psycho momma's boy who own a Bowling Alley/Lounge the establishment is the title of the film.

Oh dear god! Ida Lupino is a hoot in this, she is not suppose to be, but well yeah she is. I love film noirs. Give it a minute, wait until she starts tickling the ivories. And those bangs, she must have the same hairdresser as Boris Karloff did in Frankenstein. I keep waiting for that cigarette to fall off the piano. This is one great movie however, one of my favorite noirs.

https://youtu.be/48f9ITmf9BM
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:33 am
I have to comment about It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, that movie is an all time favorite of ours, we have it and I bet we have watched it at least 50 times over the years. We can quote all of the dialogue by heart and often entertain ourselves using lines whenever they fit into our daily life conversations. It sure is a whos who of comedic talent. Jonathan Winters especially is very dear to my heart. He reminds me so much of my father, he was a big guy with an insanely funny sense of humor.
Oh man, I've got to watch that again soon! I keep meaning to, but it's so long. (But totally worth the time.) Jonathan Winters...maybe the greatest comedic genius ever. All you had to do was just turn a camera on that guy and let him go. I think it's great that you can see your father in him. :D
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:33 am
Oh dear god! Ida Lupino is a hoot in this, she is not suppose to be, but well yeah she is. I love film noirs. Give it a minute, wait until she starts tickling the ivories. And those bangs, she must have the same hairdresser as Boris Karloff did in Frankenstein. I keep waiting for that cigarette to fall off the piano. This is one great movie however, one of my favorite noirs.
That looks like an interesting film. Ida Lupino is always entertaining. And yes, those are some bodacious Franken-bangs. :lol: