What Talkies Are You Watching?

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
BettyLouSpence

What Talkies Are You Watching?

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Just finished up Easter Parade from 1946 with Fred Astaire and Judy Garland. Ann Miller was gorgeous!
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Re: What Talkies Are You Watching?

Post by donnie »

I’ve not seen that one—it sounds enjoyable.

The only talking thing I can think of that I’ve watched lately is “Hypnotized,” an early sound effort of Mack Sennett’s. (1933, I believe.)

Remember R Michael on the old GS board? He once described it, I believe, as the worst sound comedy feature ever made. Well, I knew I’d sometime have to watch it out of morbid curiosity.

Yep. It’s pretty bad. Worst ever, I don’t know, but...yep, it’s pretty bad. :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

:lol: baha idk what you guys are talking about, but i think I'll have to check it out...out of morbid curiousity, too.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:42 am
:lol: baha idk what you guys are talking about, but i think I'll have to check it out...out of morbid curiousity, too.
I’m not sure if it’s available anywhere online. I actually bought the dvd of it. :oops: Well, it was cheap. I actually tried to sell that dvd on ebay with some others a few days ago. No takers, so I ended up donating it to Goodwill. :D.

I did handbrake it to my hard drive before donating, so if you are really a glutton for punishment, I could upload it. :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:32 pm

I did handbrake it to my hard drive before donating, so if you are really a glutton for punishment, I could upload it. :lol:
I'll take it! Let me know when I can get it. ☺️ Thanks.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:05 pm
donnie wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:32 pm

I'll take it! Let me know when I can get it. ☺️ Thanks.
Ok, you asked for it. :lol:

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

We just watched Citizen Kane and The Third Man, I've loved both of those movies since I was a kid when I spent an inordinate amount of time watching old movies on TV. Next up Touch of Evil, we are having an Orson Welles film festival. I was going to get The Lady From Shanghai from the library, but they closed the library. Boohoo
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Last night I watched The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) with Vincent Price. Weird movie.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:08 pm
Last night I watched The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) with Vincent Price. Weird movie.
I love Vincent Price and I agree it is a weird movie. He was great fun in all the almost campy horror movies he made.
Here is so perfect in Laura and also he was in Leave Her To Heaven, both great film noirs, classics.
Price is a bit like the grand guignol actresses, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Tallulah Bankhead, Agnes Moorehead to name a few, when their careers started to wain, they did horror roles.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Vincent Price was really good in Last Man On Earth (1964). I love that late 1950s and up to the mid 1960s beat quality that you just don't get anymore.