My Fair Lady

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
dachshundonstilts

My Fair Lady

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I have to make a confession about "My Fair Lady"...

Although I was in high school when I first saw it, it was only many years later that I realized, when Jeremy Brett said "I want to drink in the street where she lives," that he was using "drink in" as a compound verb.

"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Re: My Fair Lady

Post by Kitty »

Haha that's so funny how sometimes we will misconstrue meanings of things.
And I have a confession of my own to make....

I've never seen My Fair Lady in full. But I have seen She's All That, which is essentially a remake in its own right.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

My Fair Lady is great. I can't remember how I heard that particular "drink in" phrase, but I would bet I interpreted it as two words, as well. I am notorious too for misconstruing things like that.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Now I'll have to watch it gain sometime just to see Jeremy Brett in it, I don't remember him at all. Nor do I even remotely remember that scene.

The original version, Pygmalion 1938, starring Wendy Hiller and Leslie Howard is my favorite.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 am
Now I'll have to watch it gain sometime just to see Jeremy Brett in it, I don't remember him at all. Nor do I even remotely remember that scene.

The original version, Pygmalion 1938, starring Wendy Hiller and Leslie Howard is my favorite.
Wow, I'll bet that is good. I didn't realize the play itself had ever been put on film.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

donnie wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:19 pm
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 am

Wow, I'll bet that is good. I didn't realize the play itself had ever been put on film.
It's very good as I remember.

Wendy Hiller also starred in Major Barbara, 1941, from another George Bernard Shaw original play.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!