My Fair Lady

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
dachshundonstilts

My Fair Lady

Post by dachshundonstilts » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:36 am

I have to make a confession about "My Fair Lady"...

Although I was in high school when I first saw it, it was only many years later that I realized, when Jeremy Brett said "I want to drink in the street where she lives," that he was using "drink in" as a compound verb.

"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, "It" (1927)

Kitty

Re: My Fair Lady

Post by Kitty » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Haha that's so funny how sometimes we will misconstrue meanings of things.
And I have a confession of my own to make....

I've never seen My Fair Lady in full. But I have seen She's All That, which is essentially a remake in its own right.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:33 pm

My Fair Lady is great. I can't remember how I heard that particular "drink in" phrase, but I would bet I interpreted it as two words, as well. I am notorious too for misconstruing things like that.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 am

Now I'll have to watch it gain sometime just to see Jeremy Brett in it, I don't remember him at all. Nor do I even remotely remember that scene.

The original version, Pygmalion 1938, starring Wendy Hiller and Leslie Howard is my favorite.
When my people come to colonize this planet, your name will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.
Beldar Conehead

donnie

Post by donnie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 am
Now I'll have to watch it gain sometime just to see Jeremy Brett in it, I don't remember him at all. Nor do I even remotely remember that scene.

The original version, Pygmalion 1938, starring Wendy Hiller and Leslie Howard is my favorite.
Wow, I'll bet that is good. I didn't realize the play itself had ever been put on film.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:55 am

donnie wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:19 pm
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 am

Wow, I'll bet that is good. I didn't realize the play itself had ever been put on film.
It's very good as I remember.

Wendy Hiller also starred in Major Barbara, 1941, from another George Bernard Shaw original play.
When my people come to colonize this planet, your name will be on the protected rolls, and you will come to no harm.
Beldar Conehead