Will Hays Speech

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
donnie

Will Hays Speech

Post by donnie »

Here is his address to the audience recorded for the premiere of the Warner Brothers production of Don Juan (1926). I have always thought this very interesting, not as much because of what he says (though that is of interest), but because of the way he says it. The delivery is so stilted as to be downright bizarre to us today. I think this gives a fascinating picture of how formal oratory may have been taught and practiced at one time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtOKCQY58VI

Kitty

Re: Will Hays Speech

Post by Kitty »

He sounds like he's giving a commencement speech at a college.
Have you ever seen Singin' in the Rain at the part at the party at R. F. Simpson's house? A demonstration film is shown with synchronized sound. I think this is just a real life version of that. They had to speak slow and clearly in those early days of sound so as to understand the person on screen.
Great find! Thank you for this.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

No, I haven't seen Singin' in the Rain (I know, bad me.) There are other copies of the Hays clip that have sharper video. I think several used to be on YouTube, but I'm guessing Warner Bros. yanked them. This one mightn't last long. :?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Omg!!!!! Stop everything right now and watch Singin' in the Rain! It's a perfect movie. Everyone I show that movie to loves it, even those who aren't into old movies.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Ok, I'll try to get to it. :D

Here is a photo of the crowd outside the theatre on the night of the Hays speech, etc. Notice the sign about the air conditioning. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Juan_ ... 535750.jpg

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I LOVE that great picture. You can look at all the happy faces close up. I'm going to post that in the random pictures thread :)