Soundie Shorts

Where we can talk about photoplay created after the silent era!
donnie

Re: Soundie Shorts

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:40 pm
This is labeled 1913, but I have major doubts. It's a curiosity nonetheless. It ends abruptly, unfortunately, before the last song is ended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqAiAsMOCIk
Yes! It's authentic and from 1913. This is actually one of the ones on the Kinetophone: A fact! A Reality! dvd.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=410

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oh, wow! I'm surprised at the quality!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, isn't it amazing? This is an important historical document, as well, as the minstrel show was in full swing during this era. It's too bad about the abrupt ending; I suppose either the film or the cylinder was damaged after that point. The interlocutor (and I think some of the band members, too) are dressed in 18th century style. I wonder if that was usual in minstrel shows, and if so, why. Also, did you notice that the baritone and tenor soloists were slightly off key? :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:41 pm
Also, did you notice that the baritone and tenor soloists were slightly off key? :)
No! I did not. :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

There's one with Viola Dana and her sister in it. I'm trying to find a good quality version. If I can't I'll upload it.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here is a halfway decent copy, though the restored one on my dvd is much better. Imdb states that Viola is Jack the Giant Killer, and Edna is Little Miss Muffet. However, when interviewed in the Hollywood series, Viola stated that her sister played the Fairy Queen. And Miss Muffit looks to me more like Viola. So the imdb info may be incorrect (?) What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCGfdWGOry4