Max Fleischer

This is where we will talk about all our favorite animation from days gone by!
Kitty

Max Fleischer

Post by Kitty »

I don't know what Max and his crew were smoking when they made some of these cartoons, but they definitely came out with some interesting ones. Here's Minnie the Moocher with Betty Boop and Bimbo. I advise you to turn your speakers down, because the vintage sound isn't, shall we say, beautiful. Nevertheless, turned to a suitable volume, this is a really cool little 'toon. Note the cameo appearance of Koko the Clown. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZOXF83zBg
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: Max Fleischer

Post by Kitty »

This is another Cab Calloway song, in another Betty Boop cartoon, but this time Koko the Clown is drawn to dance and sing to it. This is the best version of this song ever made. I challenge you to convince me otherwise! St. James Infirmary Blues. I'm going to just post the song, since that's the best part of the cartoon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aDATXtewPrg
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

You won't have any arguments from me about this being the best version. I always enjoy watching this section—just an incredible combination of animation and music.
Last edited by donnie on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Isn't it crazy that the animation just flowed like water? Fascinating to me.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Even crazier when apparently only one man animated the entire short - Roland Crandell.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Found a really crisp upload on YouTube for Chess-Nuts (1932):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NYGLDk02EVg%5B

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's really good quality—thanks for posting!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I really liked that one! I love the sound quality, too! I really like the ones that include Koko. I guess I just like the underdog, the ones that are forgotten by the general public. I like that Bimbo has personality in this one. Oh my, that's a lot of 'like's. :lol:

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Here's a Talkartoon from 1930, Swing You Sinners. This was a big inspiration for the game Cuphead.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1OQOjcdgoYc

donnie

Post by donnie »

Wow, that is amazing!! What a masterpiece of animation. I don't know how I've missed seeing that before. I can see how this would inspire a game. So how did they use this cartoon in it?