Tex Avery

This is where we will talk about all our favorite animation from days gone by!
Kitty

Tex Avery

Post by Kitty »

Tex Avery was first introduced to me on Cartoon Network. His cartoons were shown late at night, and has to be one of the first things to make me realize I lived the old style of music. Unfortunately the full cartoon is no longer on YouTube, but here is a clip of Swing Shift Cinderella:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcJ7gvJP0Q
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Tex Avery

Post by donnie »

Have you seen the similar Tex Avery one of Little Red Riding Hood? It's hilarious.
I'm trying to to remember what song Oh Wollfy is take on.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Do you mean Red Hot Riding Hood? I sure have!!! 8-)
The song is a take on "Oh, Johnny, Oh, Johnny, oh!" it sure is catchy!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, Johnny. I couldn't remember the name.

In Red Hot Riding Hood, the funniest part is where he pulls out the needle and then granny goes shooting off into space. Those cartoons were definitely made for more of an adult audience. :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oh, definitely! In fact, even Betty Boop wasn't for the kids.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Avery was a genius on a level with Chuck Jones and Bob Clampett. It was a stroke of luck when he got fired from Warner Brothers because he had more freedom at MGM.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

With the addition of the new BBCodes, I can now post the full video of Swing Shift Cinderella!!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxacqu_swing-shift-cinderella_shortfilms

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

This was the cartoon that caused Avery to leave Warner Brothers after an argument with producer Leon Schlesinger.
The Heckling Hare
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x612jad

The original ending had Bugs and the dog, after saving themselves from a fall, proceed to walk off another cliff to another long fall. Schlesinger reportedly didn't want to end on a fall because it implied that Bugs died, so he ordered the ending cut. Avery stormed out and got suspended for four weeks, during which time he got his job at MGM, which gave him more artistic freedom.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

I sure do remember those cartoons must have been on early TV Kiddie programs, 1950's or it was at the movies.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!