Spooky Cartoons

This is where we will talk about all our favorite animation from days gone by!
Kitty

Spooky Cartoons

Post by Kitty »

I really liked this one, although it's more drawings with a voiceover. If you close your eyes it's sort of like an 8 minute radio show.
The Tell-Tale Heart, 1953, put out by Columbia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCEdRES08Y4
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: Spooky Cartoons

Post by Kitty »

Here is The Case of the Stuttering Pig (which, oddly, has nothing to to do with the content of the short). There's one thing in particular that I love the most about this. I wonder if you can guess?
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22059s
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

The Tell-Tale Heart is interesting and very well done. Yes, the audio could make an excellent radio show on its own, due to James Mason's skillful narration.

I can't do much with The Case of the Stuttering Pig due to Dailymotion's long Star Wars ads that keep interrupting and then freezing up. :x I did eventually see the first couple of minutes, at least. :|

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That's funny, I didn't have any ads this time! daily motion has really gone down the tubes lately. 😖

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:25 pm

I can't do much with The Case of the Stuttering Pig due to Dailymotion's long Star Wars ads that keep interrupting and then freezing up. :x I did eventually see the first couple of minutes, at least. :|
If you want, can you try clicking on the link to the Stuttering Pig cartoon? It may make a difference. For me, there was one ad in the beginning and that was it.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:28 pm
donnie wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 2:25 pm

If you want, can you try clicking on the link to the Stuttering Pig cartoon? It may make a difference. For me, there was one ad in the beginning and that was it.
Yes, that's much better. Thanks! The other way I kept getting 30 second ads that would repeat.
No, I cannot guess! What is it?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Kitty wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:04 pm
Here is The Case of the Stuttering Pig (which, oddly, has nothing to to do with the content of the short). There's one thing in particular that I love the most about this. I wonder if you can guess?
donnie wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:07 pm
No, I cannot guess! What is it?
I am not sure why I never answered this. Maybe I forgot the answer since it took so long for you to easily watch the video!

Anyway, I still don't know what I was talking about, except on second viewing I especially liked the breaking of the fourth wall over and over again. It reminds us that all of these early cartoons were shown in theaters, as opposed to television (the most likely medium anyone alive has ever seen them) which was still a ways off to be invented. I also like how this is actually a pretty creepy cartoon, and gets kind of intense when the lawyer changes. Imagine being a little tyke and watching that on the big screen!

donnie

Post by donnie »

I don't remember watching this one at all, though I apparently did. Anyway, I rewatched it just now. :)
Kitty wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:10 pm
Anyway, I still don't know what I was talking about, except on second viewing I especially liked the breaking of the fourth wall over and over again. It reminds us that all of these early cartoons were shown in theaters, as opposed to television...
Yes, I liked those parts, too. Have you seen any of the ones with a dark silhouette like an audience member walking across the bottom of the screen? Usually, one of the character's yells "Sit down!" or something like that.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:59 pm
I don't remember watching this one at all, though I apparently did. Anyway, I rewatched it just now. :)
Kitty wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:10 pm
Anyway, I still don't know what I was talking about, except on second viewing I especially liked the breaking of the fourth wall over and over again. It reminds us that all of these early cartoons were shown in theaters, as opposed to television...
Yes, I liked those parts, too. Have you seen any of the ones with a dark silhouette like an audience member walking across the bottom of the screen? Usually, one of the character's yells "Sit down!" or something like that.
Yes, I have. Weirdly, I didn't remember a thing about it, either. I guess it's not that odd, after all, though, because it was two years ago that it was originally posted.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:51 pm
Weirdly, I didn't remember a thing about it, either. I guess it's not that odd, after all, though, because it was two years ago that it was originally posted.
It's a pretty vivid and creepy cartoon. You'd think we'd at least have some kind of recollection of it. :)