Mickey

This is where we will talk about all our favorite animation from days gone by!
Kitty

Mickey

Post by Kitty »

Have you ever wondered what the first words that Mickey ever spoke were? I honestly have never thought about it! Do you know what the first cartoon that he spoke his first words was? I assumed it was Steamboat Willie, but I was wrong! It was the sixth Mickey cartoon, which is called The Karnival Kid (1929). His first words? "Hot dogs! Hot dogs!" 😃

Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIa1Tvbh1qo

Curious as to what they're saying in the beginning? I found this on the Disney wikia.

Kat Nipp: [She] puts you in a trance, with her hoochie coochie dance, di-di-di-di, di-di-di-di, di-di-di-di-di...
Mickey Mouse: Hot dogs! Hot dogs! (x2)
Hot Dogs: Arf, arf, arf, arf! (scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch) (x2)
Kat Nipp: Just a dime, ten cents, see the hoochie coochie dance!
Mickey: It's a bum hooch dance, keep yer money in yer pants!

I really like this cartoon. It's weird, and I love the scene where he is making the hot dog. He's using a regular bun, not what we would call a hot dog bun. In today's world, where most of the time we would use a squeeze bottle of condiments, he uses a short jar of mustard. I also love the carnival setting, and that Clarabelle Cow is shown briefly in the beginning. If you pay attention to the background, there is actually a pretty good amount of detail in the scenery of this short.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Mickey

Post by donnie »

That is an interesting and weird one! Yes, there is an amazing amount of detail in the scenery, and also in the soundtrack. There was some real genius put into those early cartoons.

Re the hotdog bun, I noticed the same thing in the Chaplin/Mabel Normand Short “Mabel’s Busy Day”. (See 0:26 below) I guess they didn’t invent hotdog buns till later??
[edit by Kitty - updated link due to deleted video, bun section around :35]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZjvEUm29Z0