Great Cartoons

This is where we will talk about all our favorite animation from days gone by!
Kitty

Re: Great Cartoons

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 pm
:lol: That's a funny one, but no, I don't think that's it either. I only have a vague memory of it, but I think I'd recognize it if I saw it. It may be an older one, like from the 30s.
I just watched those two cartoons, and they are not the one I remember, either. I think I have mentioned a vhs tape we had when we were little of the 50 Greatest Cartoons, and I'm sure the other one was on it. I would guess that it was in the same atmosphere of Have You Got Any Castles, (you said it was probably from the 30s) rather than that awful Book Revue.
This kind of cartoon (Book Revue) had to be what Fred Rogers was talking about during his plea for public television in 1969. He called the cartoons that were on tv then "bombardments". While this was most likely not created with children in mind, we all know that later all animated content was and is associated with children, and Looney Toons was widely shown.
You can probably already tell that I did not like Book Revue at all. :lol: I do not usually feel this strongly about cartoons, but I would venture to say I hated this one. It was much too loud, had way too liberal use of the literal state of the book titles, and just plain had too much going on with it. It seems like they threw the whole team's ideas together and crammed them all in there, whether they were good or bad.
And Daffy. I know I am supposed to love his character in this. He's a Danny Kaye caricature, and I am deeply in love with that man. I'll say this: Daffy should stick to his day job of being the secondary character in Bugs Bunny cartoons.
Furthermore, here is a thought about this and other cartoons featuring Frankie. Why do they always portray him as some deathly ill ghost character with a blue face? I wonder if people of the day really thought it was that funny, or if it's just because I've discovered that I don't like caricature.
Anyway, I'm going to keep looking for other cartoons that have book characters come to life. ☺

P. S. I forgot that I do have one good thing to say about this cartoon, and that is the beautiful music that starts it out. I wonder what it is? (and no, I'm not talking about The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down :lol:)
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Come on, tell me how you really feel. :lol:

Now I'm going to have to go back and review the Revue. I don't remember seeing anything that really particularly irritated me, though it was a bit loud and silly. But you're right about the Castles one being more in line with the one I remember.

I was trying to figure out who Daffy was imitating—didn't realize it was Danny Kaye. Yes, I think his day job probably suits him better! :lol:

As for Frankie, I think that's just an exaggeration based on the fact that he looked very skinny and fragile (and pale?) at that age (as opposed to later). I think people were maybe amused at the fact that all the girls were swooning over someone so gangly or malnourished looking—that's my theory, anyway.

Enjoyed reading your comments. :D

The music is the first movement of the Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 14 in C# Minor, usually nicknamed the "Moonlight Sonata".
Valentina Lisitsa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28lA52yQvwk

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I knew you'd know what it was right away! Thanks for the link. I'm listening now. I like those ominous tones.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm glad you like this music. :) If you listen all the way through, you'll hear a volcanically intense performance of the last movement at ~7:44. :o She is quite a pianist.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I did. It was crazy! The middle part reminded me of a castle level in Super Mario.
It's amazing how many times I've heard parts of that and didn't realize it was Moonlight Sonata.

donnie

Post by donnie »

:) Yes, that's one of those iconic pieces you hear bits of everywhere.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Wow! This is only 20 years old, but it is so cute and funny as well as sad and beautiful. This is called The First Snow of Winter. (1998)
https://youtu.be/9gdrn0pZFa0

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:11 pm
Christmas Comes But Once A Year (1936)
https://youtu.be/2p17kBv8F5I
I'm bumping this classic.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Thanks! I have been thinking of bumping that one for days.

Kitty

Re: Heartwarming Cartoons

Post by Kitty »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:56 am
Kitty wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 am
I've always found this one really interesting. It was on a VHS (what's that?) of the 50 greatest cartoons that my grandpa gave us. I loved watching that tape!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUR1SF-2wBw
Here's one of my favorite cartoons ever! Noveltoon's Stupidstitious Cat!
Wooohooo!!! It's that day again!