Great Cartoons

This is where we will talk about all our favorite animation from days gone by!
Kitty

Re: Great Cartoons

Post by Kitty »

Remember Mighty Mouse? I thought this one was different.
The Magic Slipper
https://youtu.be/m0C0m7OVGAU
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: Heartwarming Cartoons

Post by Kitty »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 am
I've always found this one really interesting. It was on a VHS (what's that?) of the 50 greatest cartoons that my grandpa gave us. I loved watching that tape!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUR1SF-2wBw
Here's one of my favorite cartoons ever! Noveltoon's Stupidstitious Cat!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: Glad you remembered that one for day. That's a classic.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

:) it is!!!

donnie

Post by donnie »

This has been one of my favorites for a long time. It's really strange—but wonderful and unbelievably detailed. And dig the odd toothpaste commercial.
Boy Meets Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAJGRGYxc98

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I liked that!
I wonder why the sound cut out during the Ipana ad?
The only thing I don't like about cartoons of that era is that you can't understand everything that's said due to the loud boisterous musical numbers. I'm sure they couldn't understand all the words back then, either.
Did you notice the picture of the woman on the school house wall above the door when they ran out? I live the attention to detail in this, and I want to see the rest of the boy's house, and wish we could have gone into the ice cream parlor.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:08 pm
I liked that!
I wonder why the sound cut out during the Ipana ad?
Glad you liked it! Re the Ipana ad, The missing sound is in all the copies of this cartoon I've ever seen. It sounds as if they're blipping something out there, doesn't it?—though I don't know what it would be. Some of the copies go further and eliminate the whole Ipana ad
Kitty wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:08 pm
Did you notice the picture of the woman on the school house wall above the door when they ran out? I live the attention to detail in this, and I want to see the rest of the boy's house, and wish we could have gone into the ice cream parlor.
No, I've never noticed that—I'll have to go back and look. I like the interior details, too. When the boy dries the dog, he spins him in one of those looped towel things. I've noticed a lot of old cartoons have those. I wonder if they were common in that era, or if it just made a good comic prop.

Edit: Looking at that picture on the wall, I think it's intended probably to be George Washington. It certainly does look more like a woman, though. But I'm judging from the fact that Washington's picture was common in schoolhouses and also by the fact that it's framed by the flags.

You have a good eye, I've seen that cartoon bunches of times and never noticed that detail.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Thanks! Yes, I find the backgrounds in old cartoons and shows very interesting, so I'll sometimes get distracted by them :lol: Sometimes I'll be like "wait, how did that happen?". Oh, well. That's why we have rewind. :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Re the Ipana ad embedded in the cartoon, I was looking around for information on that brand (now no longer made) and found this neat certificate. Size is rather small, but still readable.
Attachments
certificate of Dental.jpg
certificate of Dental.jpg (170.03 KiB) Viewed 7226 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I love that! Very cool. Every time I hear about Ipana, I think of the part in Grease where the one girl sings with the commercial.