Great Cartoons

This is where we will talk about all our favorite animation from days gone by!
donnie

Re: Great Cartoons

Post by donnie »

My Annual Bump!

Beautiful sharp 35mm original print! Watch! :D

Christmas Comes But Once a Year (1936)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dfeokaw2xc

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oh my goodness!! I've never seen that so amazing looking.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:59 pm
Oh my goodness!! I've never seen that so amazing looking.
Yes, isn't it beautiful? I think the sound is improved, as well.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

You're Too Careless With Your Kisses (1932) in B&W....

https://youtu.be/xmX5LI3SSu0?si=dRtRT7Cjw7kca-jL

And in color!

https://youtu.be/u3rZC-XUOlI?si=4_JOD0QgBH9NBNQL

I prefer the black and white version, as the spider is much creepier in B&W!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Beautiful cartoon, both in the B&W and in the color. And I liked the imaginative battle scene. What is the villain? A beetle, I guess?

Did you have trouble understanding any of the dialogue? Some of it was hard to make out, especially in the dialogue between husband and wife. Speaking of which: what is she angry at him for? Aren't bees supposed to like nectar? And who has he been kissing? :?: :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:32 pm
What is the villain? A beetle, I guess?
A spider! I think it looks more beetle-like, but it has a web on his door.
donnie wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:32 pm
Did you have trouble understanding any of the dialogue? Some of it was hard to make out, especially in the dialogue between husband and wife. Speaking of which: what is she angry at him for? Aren't bees supposed to like nectar? And who has he been kissing? :?: :)
Yes, it is. It's a real shame in these old cartoons how loud the music is, resulting in dialogue being hard to make out. I think it's easier to understand in the color version.

So, I read a summary of this yesterday when looking for a good print (I saw this on Toon In With Me, so I had to search it) and it says he was on his way home from work and he is distracted by all the flowers and scenery on the way, so he gets home super late and she accuses him of drinking with the boys and sneaking back in the wee hours of the morning.

Don't you love the odd songs that are in these old, old cartoons? I do!