Felix the Cat

This is where we will talk about all our favorite animation from days gone by!
Kitty

Felix the Cat

Post by Kitty »

Here is a nice Felix color cartoon called Neptune Nonsense. The only thing I'd criticize is the horrible volume quality. The sound effects are louder than the dialogue! You have to strain to hear them.https://youtu.be/3UWbFnxzty0
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: Felix the Cat

Post by Kitty »

This is the first Felix cartoon ever, from 1919 Feline Follies.
What do you think? Did you predict the ending?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Zn3qDzn3A
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I liked the underwater world in Neptune Nonsense. It was a little hard to hear the dialogue. One of the commenters on Youtube said that the sound effects had been added later. I'm not sure if that's so or not—it seems a little unusual that anyone would go to that much trouble to modify an older cartoon in that way—but it would explain the dialogue sound level problem.
Kitty wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:03 pm
I didn't even understand the ending. :shock: :?:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:38 pm
Kitty wrote:
The ending to Feline Follies was this: He went back to visit his girlfriend and found out he's now the father of a bunch of kids.... he runs to the nearest gas pump and kills himself. Weirdly drastic!!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:31 pm
donnie wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:38 pm
Kitty wrote:
The ending to Feline Follies was this: He went back to visit his girlfriend and found out he's now the father of a bunch of kids.... he runs to the nearest gas pump and kills himself. Weirdly drastic!!
Oh, I see now. :D I thought that was a water faucet. I failed to notice "Gas Works" in the background. Thanks for the clarification. :D

One thing I did notice was the sophistication of the vocabulary in the titles. That's kind of unusual for a film of that era where the level of literacy was lower.