Who's on the banner?

Brand new to silents? Wondering where to start? This section has quick, bite-size info on films, performers, directors, etc.

Moderator: BettyLouSpence

BettyLouSpence

Re: Who's on the banner?

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:16 pm
My look at those hats!

Daddy Roberts was Moses, too?? :lol:
I thought the same thing when I saw the cast listing. :lol: He's like the Where's Waldo of silents.
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Put away the smelling salts and fainting couches, folks! I know what you're thinking: "Betty Lou's repeating a past banner?!"

Yep! I totally am. I genuinely could not think of anything that could possibly top the February banner from last year. Any Valentine's themed banner not having the awesome Mabel and Roscoe hearts from Fatty and Mabel Adrift felt like a total downgrade. And, besides, I was starting to miss them.

If you need a refresher on who's who, here they are, listed from left to right: Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell in Lucky Star (1929), Harold Lloyd and Jobyna Ralston in a publicity still for The Freshman (1925), Buddy Rogers and Clara Bow in Wings (1927), and, of course, Mabel Normand and Roscoe Arbuckle in Fatty and Mabel Adrift (1916).

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yay! You're right to recycle that one. It's a masterpiece! :D

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

The banner for March pays homage to German Expressionism! From left to right: Paul Wegener as the titular Golem in The Golem: How He Came into the World with Lyda Salmonova; Ruth Weyher in Schatten (1923); Conrad Veidt carrying Lil Dagover in The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920); Alfred Abel and Lya de Putti in Phantom (1922); and finally, Rudolf Klein-Rogge as the mad scientist and Brigitte Helm as the robot in Metropolis (1027).

image.gif
image.gif (219.92 KiB) Viewed 1195 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

Splendid! I love GE!

It’s funny, I don’t remember that scene from Caligari. What part of the movie is it in?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I just had a thought --- If The Golem were to be remade today, I think that Dave Bautista would be perfect for the role. Calling all directors! If treated correctly, I think they could make a really beautiful remake today.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

This April we're celebrating Thanhouser Studios! From left to right are six of their actors and actresses, famous at different points throughout the studios life. Each name is a link to a mini bio at the Thanhouser website.

First is James Cruze, who was with the company from 1911 to 1915. He would later direct films such as Hollywood, The Covered Wagon, Old Ironsides and The Great Gabbo, the latter of which starred his then-wife Betty Compson (they divorced the following year). Cruze continued directing into the 30s. He died by suicide in 1942.

William Russell acted in Thanhouser films from 1910 to 1913, notably in David Copperfield. He continued acting into the 20s and eventually married Helen Ferguson, a union which lasted until his death from pneumonia in 1929.

Muriel Ostriche was with Thanhouser from 1913 to 1915, best known for starring in the company's Princess films in whoch she was often paired with Boyd Marshall. After leaving Thanhouser, she continued to act until 1921. She was rediscovered in the 80s and the biography Muriel Ostriche: Princess of Silent Films was published. She was happy to talk about her silent film experiences. She passed away in 1989, but not before enjoying a renewed interest in her life.

Florence La Badie acted at Thanhouser from 1911 to 1917. She was their most popular actress and was featured in many a fan magazine and was even the recipient of hundreds of proposals in the mail. She was sporty, an adept swimmer and dancer, which helped her to perform her own stunts. In August of 1917, Flo was in a car accident; she died of her injuries two months later on October 13, 1917. She was 29.

Finally are the Fairbanks twins, Madeline and Marion (don't ask me which one's which, though :P ). They were with the company from 1912 to 1916. Apparently even the others at Thanhouser couldn't tell them apart, save for a birthmark on one of the girls' arm! In later years the girls entered vaudeville, and appeared in the musical film On With the Show in 1929. Madeline passed away in 1989; Marion, sometime in the mid-70s.

image.gif
image.gif (202.82 KiB) Viewed 784 times
Last edited by BettyLouSpence on Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Splendid! :D I like the way the faces are positioned, and the dark vignette of Flo La Badie as the centerpiece just makes it. Looking at it, it occurs to me that if you wanted a mini banner for any reason, you could just use the Flo + Title portion by itself. Wouldn't that be atmospheric and striking? :)

Some interesting information on the personnel. James Cruze, I thought...where have I seen that name? Ah yes, Gabbo! I don't recall seeing any films with the twins.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Well, well, what an appropriate banner for this nice spring month. :D

And—my favorite silent actress of all is here. :he: :he: :he: Can you guess which one it is?

But you're going to have to help me with the middle one—I couldn't identify her.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Yes, it's the month of May - and Mae! One of my sillier ideas for the banner... no, wait, make that silliest.

From left to right, we have May McAvoy with chrysanthemums, Mae Marsh in Polly of the Circus (1917), May Allison ready for a masquerade ball, Anna May Wong in Pavement Butterfly (1929), and an illustration of Mae Murray by E. Dahl, for the March 1923 issue of Motion Picture Classic.
donnie wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:26 pm
And—my favorite silent actress of all is here. :he: :he: :he: Can you guess which one it is?
Mae Marsh, of course. :D

image.gif
image.gif (148.08 KiB) Viewed 625 times