Progression of the English Accent

Let's talk about, appreciate, and critique the fashions and lifestyles of the past!
Kitty

Progression of the English Accent

Post by Kitty »

A fascinating example of the progression of the English accent throughout the years from the 14th to the 21st centuries.

https://youtu.be/3lXv3Tt4x20
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Progression of the English Accent

Post by donnie »

That's fascinating, isn't it? Did you notice the one in the 1700s sounds very similar to an American accent? That's because the Amercian colonists brought with them the British accents of the time. The accent in England later changed, but the American remained the same (which is what tends to happen when colonies get separated off from the mother country). So our accent is basically the British accent of the 1600-1700's. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Isn't that fascinating?Now, how did the southern accents evolve?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:42 pm
Isn't that fascinating?Now, how did the southern accents evolve?
I'm thinking a lot of that can probably traced back to the Scotch-Irish settlers, or those from the northern parts of England.