Dick Cavett

donnie

Re: Dick Cavett

Post by donnie »

I've actually never heard of Slydini, but I don't know why not, as I see he was renowned.

Why was DC on the Carol Burnett set?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:54 pm
I've actually never heard of Slydini, but I don't know why not, as I see he was renowned.

Why was DC on the Carol Burnett set?
He said it was the last week before she started using it again and I guess he thought it would be fun.

Seriously, though, I learned about Slydini from Dick Cavett. He was totally amazing. He had three people almost on top of him while they were sitting around a small round table, and everyone was amazed. No one can tell how he did it. At one point he even fooled Cher. He had two sponge balls that he gave her to hold, and somehow when she opened her hand and dropped them on the table, it was a bunch of tiny balls. Just a master close up illusionist. He's amazing.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Just watched a fascinating interview of Arthur Godfrey on Dick's show. I wish this was available online. He tells some very interesting stories of when he was young.

Oh, and I just got a book I'd ordered, Dick Cavett's first book called Cavett. It came earlier than expected!
Attachments
IMG_20220118_225335.jpg
IMG_20220118_225335.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 1938 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Cool! :D The cover of that book—the font design, and colors and graphics at the top—kind of have that "Cavett" look somehow, don't they?

Speaking of the Godfrey review, I've often seen this ad in my old PS magazines and wondered about the veracity of it. Did he happen to say anything about this?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 8.31.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 8.31.41 AM.png (1018.5 KiB) Viewed 1935 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:36 am
Speaking of the Godfrey review, I've often seen this ad in my old PS magazines and wondered about the veracity of it. Did he happen to say anything about this?
I don't think he named the company specifically, but he did have some humble beginnings, being homeless and all alone as a teenager. I think he was an immensely interesting person. Dick mentioned a Saturday Evening Post article from 1955 that had an 8 page biography by Arthur Godfrey. I'll be reading that soon!

Edit: This was an 8 article autobiography by Arthur Godfrey, not an 8 page one! I don't know if I heard Dick wrong, or if he only thought it was an 8 page article (the first article was 8 pages with an ad in the middle), but, gee! I'm going to have some reading to do! :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm sure Cavett brought up the infamous Julius LaRosa incident. How did AG respond to that?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:44 pm
I'm sure Cavett brought up the infamous Julius LaRosa incident. How did AG respond to that?
I don't think he did! Honestly, I had to Google that. He mostly talked about his past and early days.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm just posting this here so you can see Cloris Leachman's amazing dress!
https://youtu.be/xx18_TeL1Qg

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, that is an amazing dress. And yes, her name does sound like a disinfectant. :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:34 pm
Kitty wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:48 pm
BettyLouSpence wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:18 pm

Is this interview anywhere on YouTube, or maybe another video sharing site? I'd love to see it.
You know what? I think it was actually Joan Baez. Sorry for the mistake.
Oh, okay. It's alright, haha!
I got to watch this interview again. It was Joan Baez, but I take all the comments I made back. Yikes, rereading that post that I made back then about feminist activists was super cringy (do you ever read comments that you wrote from years ago and think 'geez, was that really me??')

Anyway, I realized on second viewing that Dick had annoyed her in a previous interview (they referenced briefly something from before, but didn't give details), but they moved on really quickly, and she was smiling later.