Dick Cavett

BettyLouSpence

Re: Dick Cavett

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:48 pm
BettyLouSpence wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:18 pm

Is this interview anywhere on YouTube, or maybe another video sharing site? I'd love to see it.
You know what? I think it was actually Joan Baez. Sorry for the mistake.
Oh, okay. It's alright, haha!
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:25 pm
Interesting article I ran across:
http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/202004 ... ost-of-all
That's a good one. Thank you for sharing. Cavett would have more in depth talks with people, and I think the mere fact that he was doing just that --- talking --- with them, is what set him apart. The guests aren't expected to perform or be overly funny. His show was mainly to interview, and comedy and/or entertainment was just a byproduct.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:25 pm
That's a good one. Thank you for sharing. Cavett would have more in depth talks with people, and I think the mere fact that he was doing just that --- talking --- with them, is what set him apart. The guests aren't expected to perform or be overly funny. His show was mainly to interview, and comedy and/or entertainment was just a byproduct.
Yes, that's a perfect explanation! That's exactly what made his show unique—and often fascinating. On the best ones, you really were able to see beneath the public persona of a famous person and get a glimpse of what made them tick.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I don't think I've posted this. It's a fantastic conversation with Jack Paar. Jack is the only guest on tonight's show. https://youtu.be/2qwK08oWbrs
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm watching a Cavett with Barbara Walters, who is promoting her book
How to Talk With Practically Anybody About Practically Anything.
I have really not seen much of her. I was too young to watch 20/20, of which she was most recently famous.
I was struck with how lovely she was, how composed and intelligent her face was. I feel like she could have been a silent movie star. She was like a princess, and spoke so flowingly.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, she was especially renowned for her interviewing skills—I think she was considered about the best in the business at that. I remember her being on, but never really watched that much of her work, so I don't know what it was about her interviews of famous people that garnered such praise. I assumed maybe she had an unusual ability to get them to reveal their innermost thoughts. Did Cavett ask her about that?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 10:22 am
I assumed maybe she had an unusual ability to get them to reveal their innermost thoughts. Did Cavett ask her about that?
He didn't, but I'm not sure if The Today Show was the same as 20/20. It could have been, I don't know. I think her answer would have been, well read the book! Lol. He had stated that he hadn't read the book yet, but was going to that weekend.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I just watched an amazing episode from 1971 where Dick interviewed six schoolchildren of the age of ten years old. They were so smart ---- talking extremely knowledgeably about political and social issues of the day. These kids couldn't possibly have been prompted or coached, speaking fast and candidly about air pollution and riots that happened in prisons. One little girl by the name of Renee Greene recited part of a poem that she wrote for her black history class about the ghetto, shockingly vivid and scary; this was a ten year old writing about seeing dead people in the streets, drug addicts in the ghetto. I wish upon wish that I could find this episode online to share.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Just saw Slydini on Cavett, and it's unfortunate that I can't find his segment on YouTube! Dick Cavett is on the Carol Burnett set on this episode, and Cher is the guest. Then comes Slydini, the amazing master of illusion. I rewound more than once to see if I could tell how he's doing these magic tricks, and I have no idea. He was a serious genius.