Vamp, Vamp, Vamp: A Celebration of the Silent Femme Fatale

Watch-fests and Events
donnie

Re: Vamp, Vamp, Vamp: A Celebration of the Silent Femme Fatale

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:21 am
No one ever commented about the fact that the wife in the beginning saying that he was in the hospital for a year with broken legs. Even back then, that seems like an excessively long time to be in the hospital with broken bones.
Yeah, that does seem unusual. The translation read, " Do you want to break your legs again and spend a year in the hospital again?" I guess that phrasing could suggest that maybe there were other injuries in addition to the broken legs? (I would think there would have been. :( ) Or maybe it was a sort of long-term rehab place instead of a hospital as we think of it today. Maybe not. Either way, I don't think I'd be antsy to get back on the trapeze! :?

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:28 pm
Kitty wrote:
No one ever commented about the fact that the wife in the beginning saying that he was in the hospital for a year with broken legs. Even back then, that seems like an excessively long time to be in the hospital with broken bones.
Yeah, that does seem unusual. The translation read, " Do you want to break your legs again and spend a year in the hospital again?" I guess that phrasing could suggest that maybe there were other injuries in addition to the broken legs? (I would think there would have been. :( )
A concussion, cracked skull, etc. Maybe he even survived a broken neck... but I guess I'm assuming a lot from that one title :lol:
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:17 pm
donnie wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:28 pm
Kitty wrote:
Yeah, that does seem unusual. The translation read, " Do you want to break your legs again and spend a year in the hospital again?" I guess that phrasing could suggest that maybe there were other injuries in addition to the broken legs? (I would think there would have been. :( )
A concussion, cracked skull, etc. Maybe he even survived a broken neck... but I guess I'm assuming a lot from that one title :lol:
Yeah, maybe there was more to his injury.... None of my business, anyway! I shouldn't have pried so forcefully into his personal life. :?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

All right. Now that we have completed all the films, I have a big question:

Who's the greatest vamp of them all?

After careful consideration, my vote goes to:
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:02 pm
All right. Now that we have completed all the films, I have a big question:

Who's the greatest vamp of them all?
After careful consideration, my vote goes to:

► Show Spoiler
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes! It was really hard call for me between those two. Especially since Theda is the classic and quintessential vamp.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Yikes, tough choice! Who do I choose? I didn't think I'd end up with a tie-breaker :D Luckily you two managed to delve into the various subcategories of vamps awhile back. I have to narrow it down to Bara and Naldi; they're both very effective at vamping, but with key differences as described by Kitty...
Kitty wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:54 pm
...I also agree with you that she might have surpassed Theda, though I really think that these are two different kinds of vamps. Theda seemed to have some black magic going on, while Nita seems to be more on the side of a heartless human being...
And then we have the actual subcategories as described by Donnie...
donnie wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:40 pm
Theda: black-magic vamp
Nita: heartless vamp
Betty: inept vamp
Lya: docile vamp
Barbara: dormant vamp
Hmm...
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...