1920/2020 Forum Watch-Fest

Watch-fests and Events
Kitty

Re: 1920/2020 Forum Watch-Fest

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:30 pm
Wait - that whole ensemble was a negligée??
It was super fancy! I'm guessing this wasn't something to sleep in... just something sexy that probably wasn't going to be on for long :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:55 pm
Btw, that negligée Thomas buys - who wore it best? :)
I think Bebe, although they both look fabulous!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Kitty wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:12 pm
BettyLouSpence wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 10:30 pm
Wait - that whole ensemble was a negligée??
It was super fancy! I'm guessing this wasn't something to sleep in... just something sexy that probably wasn't going to be on for long :lol:
It's so ostentatious, it looks like it'd take hours to take off :lol:
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Kitty wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:17 pm
BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:55 pm
Btw, that negligée Thomas buys - who wore it best? :)
I think Bebe, although they both look fabulous!
Uh oh... I think Gloria heard that :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:10 pm
Interesting, Bebe’s maid seems to be an authentic black person --- maybe by 1920 blackface was out of fashion? I love when people of ethnicity can be spotted in old film. I also noticed the Asian girl in the lingerie shop when he first entered. What I don’t like is the teeny tiny screen time that they had. You can especially tell with the maid that she was directed to get out of the shots as soon as possible. Also, there is a black man on the train they're traveling on toward the end! Is it weird to be interested in this?
I think blackface was still being used, but probably mostly in comedies by that time. (That’s a guess.) But remember that Jolson did his Mammy number in ’27; and blackface is still very common in the Sennett late silents and early talkies. In fact, I think it was still being used in some types of live performances even up into the 40’s and 50’s, though it had long left the movies by that time, thankfully.
Kitty wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:10 pm
The two beds for a married couple. I know I keep using the word “weird”, but I’m going to, again. What a weird thing to censor! Everyone in the whole world knew and knows that married couples sleep in a single bed. What did they think the actors were going to do in there?
It does look especially odd in that scene at the end when they move the other bed in—considering all the shenanigans that have been going on in the movie. :D But that also was standard up into the ’50’s. Remember Ricky and Lucy’s bedroom? I didn't know that about the Flintstones.

Good observations on the props, titles, clothing, etc. This movie does indeed have a lot of interesting details to take in. And some of those clothes were weird! One of those pairs of shoes looks like something one of the bad witches would have worn in Oz. :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I’ve just finished Jekyll. To be honest, I was a little less enthusiastic about watching this film than the others so far, because usually I’m less interested in dramatizations of novels. But I was sure wrong. This film is great!—extremely well-made, the direction, acting, lighting, camera work, tinting, sets, costumes, everything.... Also, a nice sharp print, and the Mont Alto Orchestra outdid itself on the score. Really a top-drawer production all round.

I’ll put the comments below as a spoiler, though there’s probably not anything that would ruin it since pretty much everyone knows what this is about. Will be interested to see further comments! I also have questions on a couple of plot points someone might be able to straighten me out on.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by donnie on Mon May 11, 2020 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

About to watch this. This is actually my second time viewing this film, but that was years ago so I've forgotten much of it save for the basic plot.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Watched it last night. I think much of it holds up well today. I know I wouldn't want to see Barrymore's Hyde peeking around my bedpost at night :shock:
► Show Spoiler
There's a scene at the very beginning of the film that I found interesting, and isn't a story spoiler at all. Jekyll is in his lab looking through his microscope. I wonder what microrganisms he's looking at? It's likely a pond water sample in the slide he's viewing, but I found it fascinating.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, I was also a little concerned about meeting Mr. Hyde during my sleep. :shock: Thankfully he stayed away :lol:

One other thing: I'd not realized that John Barrymore's film career began this early; I'd always associated him more with the sound era. Although thinking about it, I shouldn't have been surprised because Lionel was in several of Griffith's Biographs as far back as 1911 or so (and pretty good in them, too).

My other responses below.
► Show Spoiler

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

So many spoiler tags :) Here are my responses below:
► Show Spoiler