Metropolis Turns 90!

This is the place for news or information regarding the Silent Photoplay.
Kitty

Metropolis Turns 90!

Post by Kitty »

Today marks the 90th anniversary of Metropolis (1927)! In 2010, 25 more minutes of footage previously thought lost was released, making this the most complete version we have.
Attachments
metropolis460x276.jpg
metropolis460x276.jpg (13.32 KiB) Viewed 6120 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Silent Photoplay News

Post by donnie »

Happy anniversary, Metro!
Do you know I've never watched all of this? Got to remedy that!

Kitty

Re: Silent Photoplay News

Post by Kitty »

I've never watched it either! I have to, too.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Re: Metropolis Turns 90!

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Jeez I must have been out of town or something, I never saw this thread.

Yes you both have to watch it, it's July now...get with it. I first saw it in a film class I took in college. I was already a movie nut to the extreme, so the film class was my favorite class ever. Before that I only got to see rare gems of movies on PBS or perhaps the late show.

I can remember setting my alarm clock to get up in the middle of the night to watch Sunset Blvd and once had a movie party at 4 am on a Sunday so a few of us could watch Lost Horizon 1937, what a magical movie!

And my friends had to walk 4 miles in the snow with no shoes, up hill in a blizzard to get to my house.

Man when VHS first appeared, holy cow I thought I was going to go nuts!
A regular Joe could own movies and watch them anytime they wanted. One friend of mine said he felt like he was part of an experiment, you know, to see how many movies people could watch in a row.

Ok way off track here. Yeah well anyway, Metropolis made me want to investigate more Fritz Lang movies and he never failed to entertain me. I have the Kino version of Metropolis and it has the extras. I treasure it..haha, "my precious" that is how I treat some of my movies, I don't lend them to just anybody.

https://www.kinolorber.com/film/view/id/1162
Last edited by Mrs. Danvers on Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: See, the thing is, I've half-planned to watch Metropolis multiple times, but I keep putting if off because of the length. Long movies intimidate me because I have a problem with inability to sit still for too long. I've just got to get up and move every little bit. Yesterday I watched a 19 minute Fatty Arbuckle short, stopped it and got up to do something probably 3 or 4 times during... I don't know how I'd make it through Metropolis. Will it ruin it to section it up?

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

donnie wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:53 pm
:lol: See, the thing is, I've half-planned to watch Metropolis multiple times, but I keep putting if off because of the length. Long movies intimidate me because I have a problem with inability to sit still for too long. I've just got to get up and move every little bit. Yesterday I watched a 19 minute Fatty Arbuckle short, stopped it and got up to do something probably 3 or 4 times during... I don't know how I'd make it through Metropolis. Will it ruin it to section it up?
Jeez Donnie we'll have to sign you up for Short Attention Span Theater. :lol:

I don't see any reason why you can't watch Metropolis in segments. It's not a very complicated or complex story, it's more of a visual experience to be savored and soaked up. I personally can't imagine a person not being impressed with this movie, just for the sets and the world Lang creates. To say nothing of the best Robot ever to grace the silver screen.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, I know I've missed something special. I'll just have to buckle down (literally, maybe?) and do it. After all, I made it through Intolerance! (Though over a two day period. 8-) )

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

donnie wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:08 pm
Yes, I know I've missed something special. I'll just have to buckle down (literally, maybe?) and do it. After all, I made it through Intolerance! (Though over a two day period. 8-) )
My God man, you made it through Die Nibelungen Saga didn't you ?! you should be able to watch anything. It was a brilliant film(s), but indeed extremely long.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:04 am
My God man, you made it through Die Nibelungen Saga didn't you ?! you should be able to watch anything. It was a brilliant film(s), but indeed extremely long.
Hey! That's right, I did. :D

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

If you're familiar with the first Flash Gordon serial, there's a piece of equipment you'll recognize from the Hawk Men's furnace room.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)