Now Playing on Harpodeon

This is the place for news or information regarding the Silent Photoplay.
donnie

Re: Now Playing on Harpodeon

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:05 am
I finally got around to watching this. There were quite a few art titles sprinkled throughout, but I really liked that opening title.
Yes, that was a beautiful opening title. It almost looks like a fancy title-page from a late Victorian book.

I kept noticing this object in the background of the laboratory and wondering what it was. Any idea?
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 7.42.02 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 7.42.02 AM.png (120.21 KiB) Viewed 920 times

dustin@harpodeon.com

Post by dustin@harpodeon.com »

It looks something like the fold-down sinks that used to be seen on ships, the three pipes at the bottom being the hot, cold, and drain, and the round thing being the basin in the up position.

dustin@harpodeon.com

Just Maine Folks shot at "Lubinville-by-the-Sea", a.k.a Cape Elizabeth, in 1912. The headliners are Ethel Clayton and Harry Myers, the young couple, but the real star of the show is Peter Lang doing something of a John Bunny act as the squire.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Delightful little rural comedy! People seemed to have so much fun then, judging from a lot of short films from this time. :D The score was quite catchy, especially the polka in the middle.

dustin@harpodeon.com

Another film set in Maine, although less explicitly so, The Men Haters Club (Vitagraph, 1910).

Speaking of Maine, the first Harpodeon-sponsored film festival is playing in February of next year in our native Farmington, Maine at the Emery Community Arts Center. A two-day event, on February 10th and 11th. The first day is the railroad disaster program, the highlight of which is the feature The Juggernaut. The second day is the LGBTQ+ program, the highlight being the short-feature Different from the Others. A number of short subjects precede both. Meet me there, maybe, but I’ll be in the projection booth for much of it.

http://www.silentfarmington.com/

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'd seen The Men Haters Club previously—enjoyed seeing it again. :)
dustin@harpodeon.com wrote:
Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:41 am
Speaking of Maine, the first Harpodeon-sponsored film festival is playing in February of next year in our native Farmington, Maine at the Emery Community Arts Center. A two-day event, on February 10th and 11th. The first day is the railroad disaster program, the highlight of which is the feature The Juggernaut. The second day is the LGBTQ+ program, the highlight being the short-feature Different from the Others. A number of short subjects precede both. Meet me there, maybe, but I’ll be in the projection booth for much of it.
That sounds really enjoyable. :D I’m a long way from Maine, and so won’t be able to make it, but I hope it goes well.

dustin@harpodeon.com

Up now is one of my favorite Bunnyfinches, Polishing Up (1914). A husband and wife have grown slovenly and each decided to secretly polish up and see if they can still attract attention from the opposite sex, not realizing they’ve chosen the same hotel for their hunting grounds.

donnie

Post by donnie »

That one is delightful! (As was the score) :D Thanks so much for posting. Flora Finch is such a fun comedienne to watch.

I think this is actually the first Bunnyfinch I've run across that was in decent condition.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I'd always heard of John Bunny and Flora Finch, but I believe this might be the first film of theirs I've actually seen. A really fun short with a surprisingly wholesome ending. Thanks so much for sharing!
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:15 pm
I'd always heard of John Bunny and Flora Finch, but I believe this might be the first film of theirs I've actually seen. A really fun short with a surprisingly wholesome ending. Thanks so much for sharing!
http://forum.silentphotoplay.com/viewto ... p=679#p679

Here's a cool thermos ad with a huge photo of John Bunny's face.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)