Salome (1918) Fragments Rediscovered

This is the place for news or information regarding the Silent Photoplay.
BettyLouSpence

Salome (1918) Fragments Rediscovered

Post by BettyLouSpence »

https://vimeo.com/610569864

This is amazing news! Short snippets from Theda's lost Salome were rediscovered yesterday at the Filmoteca Española in Spain, and are shown here on their Vimeo channel. Doesn't look like footage taken from the films narrative itself, but rather a short compilation of Theda-centric scenes.
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Re: Salome (1918) Fragments Rediscovered

Post by Kitty »

That's so cool! Some good footage here. Also this video includes a short cartoon and a small fragment (?) of a 1903 film.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

My, I wish we could see that! Theda’s expressions are a thing to behold in a good, sharp print.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Looks like the person who found and digitized the footage posted about it on Reddit:

https://old.reddit.com/r/lostmedia/comm ... irect=true
Watch it here!

While doing an internship at the National Spanish Film Archive (Filmoteca Española) I casually found approximately two minutes of "Salome" just laying in the nitrate vaults. I wasn't sure if it was the lost 1918 version or the Nazimova one made a few years later, but after checking the print there was little doubt left: it was all Theda Bara cuts spliced together! Someone in 1918 had an obvious crush on the vamp...

The intertitles are on Spanish and it has various colored fragments. After finding it I had the amazing chance of taking it to 8K scanner and making a high quality scan of the print. It took 8 hours but it was a pretty satisfying project.

I've been a longtime fan of lost media and finding this little grail proved to be quite satisfactory. Here are my hopes that someday, somewhere, we will find a copy of Cleopatra, The Mountain Eagle and many more!

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

From a quick search, it looks as if the 1903 film, "L'Ours et la Sentinelle," was a 2-minute short that was recovered and restored in 2016.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:27 am
From a quick search, it looks as if the 1903 film, "L'Ours et la Sentinelle," was a 2-minute short that was recovered and restored in 2016.
Cool! Thanks for the info.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

The original Vimeo now requires a password to view, so here's the footage (sans music) from the Theda Bara Fan Page channel on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zH0_gZuXjO0