Live-streamed silent comedies event today!

This is the place for news or information regarding the Silent Photoplay.
donnie

Live-streamed silent comedies event today!

Post by donnie »

Information from Ben Model:

"Right now, mostly all the movie theaters and museums have closed, and a lot of people are being told to work from home. I think I've figured out a way to do a show while working from home.

...At 3pm EDT, I will live-stream a short program of silent comedies and will accompany them live on piano, and this will all take place on YouTube. It's a "pilot" episode, if you will, for something I'm calling The Silent Comedy Watch Party.....I'll be joined by Steve Massa, who will take care of the film introductions."

Here's the YouTube link, if interested. :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPfk0KV9q0Y
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.56.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 8.56.08 AM.png (284.78 KiB) Viewed 4599 times

Kitty

Re: Live-streamed silent comedies event today!

Post by Kitty »

How cool!! Among the many events cancelled, TCMFF that was supposed to be held in April, has been cancelled. This is great that he's doing this!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I enjoyed this one. :D Did you catch it? I think they will be doing some more.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:23 pm
I enjoyed this one. :D Did you catch it? I think they will be doing some more.
I hope they do more. I wasn't able to watch it.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Episode 5 streaming today at 3 pm! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bcn7q-Wn7A
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 7.51.05 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 7.51.05 AM.png (813.06 KiB) Viewed 4353 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Thanks! 🙂

donnie

Post by donnie »

If you missed it, here's a little rundown on what was shown today:

The first film was an early Harold Lloyd I’d not seen, Hey There (1918). It was a lot of fun—not much of a plot, but some funny gags and a lot of good physical comedy. Bebe Daniels is also in it.

Next was Under a Spell, an Alice Howell one reeler from 1925. I’d seen this one before on the Alice Howell dvd that Ben produced. It’s kind of hard one to follow involving a monkey, a jealous wife, a hypnotist, and a burglar in drag. :lol:

The third was Sweet Daddy (1921) starring Marcel Perez. This one involved the wild adventures of a henpecked husband, and was pretty funny. Undercrank Productions has restored and produced two dvd's of these Marcel Perez comedies, which I might look into getting. Steve Massa provided some interesting details regarding the filming and personnel afterwards.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Cool! Thanks. They live stream at an inconvenient time for me, so I end up missing it every time.

It always shocks me how many titles I've never even heard of!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Most of the things they've been showing up to this point are rarities that, in some cases, there's only one or two copies of. The ones today were all available on dvd, however.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Episode 6 today at 3 pm! :D

Scheduled:
IT'S ME (1927) - starring Monty Collins
SHE CRIED (1912) - starring Florence Turner - presented courtesy of EYE Filmmuseum
HIS WOODEN WEDDING (1925) - starring Charley Chase - presented courtesy of Lobster Films and the Blackhawk Films Collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3th33zoNDZI
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 1.17.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 1.17.54 PM.png (765 KiB) Viewed 4291 times