Live-streamed silent comedies event today!

This is the place for news or information regarding the Silent Photoplay.
Kitty

Re: Live-streamed silent comedies event today!

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:12 pm
Kitty wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:18 pm
I saw that this is now blocked. Did you guys get to see this?
You mean today's episode? I was busy with some things I had to do and only half-watched some of it. It doesn't seem to be posted—not sure why. The earlier episodes still seem to be up.
Sorry, I wasn't specific. I meant today's episode was blocked by some French outlet. They got nabbed by the copyright police, I guess, for some reason.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:51 pm
donnie wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:12 pm
Kitty wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:18 pm
I saw that this is now blocked. Did you guys get to see this?
You mean today's episode? I was busy with some things I had to do and only half-watched some of it. It doesn't seem to be posted—not sure why. The earlier episodes still seem to be up.
Sorry, I wasn't specific. I meant today's episode was blocked by some French outlet. They got nabbed by the copyright police, I guess, for some reason.
Hmmm...interesting! That's surprising, because they only screen things that either Ben personally owns or that they have express permission from the company that owns the print to use. They're very careful with that and always acknowledge it in the introductory remarks. So everything should be on the up-and-up, copyright-wise. And of course the musical accompaniment is improvised on the spot.

Do you have any details on who it was that blocked it?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:14 am
Do you have any details on who it was that blocked it?
It was flagged by TF1 video.
From the The Silent Comedy Watch Party Facebook page -
Attachments
Screenshot_20200817-085510_1.png
Screenshot_20200817-085510_1.png (144.44 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I see. Thanks for the info. I wonder if "wonderful" is sarcastic. :) Boy, talking about picky...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:00 pm
I see. Thanks for the info. I wonder if "wonderful" is sarcastic. :) Boy, talking about picky...
Pretty crazy!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Ben posted on his Patreon page that he would let everyone know when it was back up. But knowing how YouTube does things, I'm not holding my breath. ;)

Before I found out the true cause, I was wondering if maybe it had to do with the Sousa Wedding March they were talking about at the end of the show. I didn't see this film, but Ben said that in a wedding scene, there was a closeup of sheet music of a Wedding March by John Philip Sousa. Thinking that was odd (Mendelssohn wrote the Wedding March we're familiar with), he researched and found the story behind it.

Since this film was made during World War I and there was a lot of anti-German sentiment, some people didn't want music by a German at their wedding (yes, pretty silly). So Sousa was asked to write an alternate march for wedding use. How often it was actually used, I don't know. But that's the sheet music that was shown in the film. Interesting little bit of history.

Ben said he included about eight measures of it in his accompaniment, so I was wondering if maybe a bot had picked that up, somehow. But it would be pretty unlikely, as obscure as that is. I wish he had played the whole thing; I'm curious as to how it would sound. :?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That is a very interesting story!

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Thanks for that cool little tidbit to tide us over 'til it's back up. :)
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

Episode 22 now back up, so YouTube came through, after all. :)

https://youtu.be/r6HWNRT83ww

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Awesome! Thanks for that.