Live-streamed silent comedies event today!

This is the place for news or information regarding the Silent Photoplay.
donnie

Re: Live-streamed silent comedies event today!

Post by donnie »

Good notes! I was not that fond of the first one either. I agree with your comments. It was bit hard to follow, that's for sure. I can appreciate that crazy, improvised quality when it's a Keystone (usually) because the characters are so good—but this one falls a little flat.

The Scarecrow is better—anything with Buster is always good—and there are a lot of good gags. And Luke of course is classic. However, the weakness in this film, to me, is basically the same one as in Shine em'Up—the plot just seems pretty nonsensical and hard to follow—well, maybe a little easier to follow than the other. But about two-thirds of the way through, I was starting to nod off a little (of course, a lot of that may have been antihistamine.) :roll: :) No, I didn't notice that about the dancing lady's name. :)

But the real gem of this show, to me, was the A Thrilling Romance, the Wanda Wiley film. I LOVED that one—the plot, action, and the character! I was roaring with laughter during that nutty chase at the end. I would really like to have a copy of this one, and to see more Wanda Wiley films. The character just had a lot of charisma, kind of like they were mentioning about Harold Lloyd.

Yes, the extra information from Steve Massa is really interesting. The man is a walking encyclopedia of everything in silent comedy.

I'm glad you caught this one. I enjoyed it more knowing you were watching. :D

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I'm only watching it right now, after the stream ended. But I'll be comparing notes with you guys after I'm done!
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:03 pm
Isn't that feeling that a friend is also participating in a live event kind of cozy?

Your thoughts are interesting. I loved that she was writing the whole thing at the end of A Thrilling Romance. Was that a surprise at the end, or did I miss something? Either way, I thought it was an interesting touch, and I enjoyed the image of the huge mound of crumpled up papers while she was typewriting in the beginning. The ending was a great way to get yourself out if you wrote yourself into a corner. I'll remember that next time that happens to me :lol: kidding!
I'd love to see more of her stuff. I thought it was cool when he mentioned that some of her family was watching. I always wonder if silent stars' families know or care that they had a relative in show business.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Omg Jobyna!! (in the first short)

Okay, I finished Shine 'em Up. Unfortunately Joby was barely in this, despite the big credit she got; Ben Model summed up her role perfectly with the "woman who exists to end the film" remark :lol: I can understand why people might not like this one very much, the plot is very much all over the place, jumping from one art to the next at breakneck pace (first he's a failed shoeshiner, then he's trying to not be mistaken for a convict, then he works at the post office, etc.). But I thought it was entertaining enough—though I'm still disappointed Joby had such a small role, lol

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:14 pm
donnie wrote:
Isn't that feeling that a friend is also participating in a live event kind of cozy?

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
But the real gem of this show, to me, was the A Thrilling Romance, the Wanda Wiley film. I LOVED that one—the plot, action, and the character! I was roaring with laughter during that nutty chase at the end. I would really like to have a copy of this one, and to see more Wanda Wiley films. The character just had a lot of charisma, kind of like they were mentioning about Harold Lloyd.
I just finished this one and I also loved it so much! I think Ben mentioned that there's only 5 of Wanda's films extant. I hope they all get released on a box set or something. That woman was amazing!!

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:15 pm
Omg Jobyna!! (in the first short)

Okay, I finished Shine 'em Up. Unfortunately Joby was barely in this, despite the big credit she got; Ben Model summed up her role perfectly with the "woman who exists to end the film" remark :lol: I can understand why people might not like this one very much, the plot is very much all over the place, jumping from one art to the next at breakneck pace (first he's a failed shoeshiner, then he's trying to not be mistaken for a convict, then he works at the post office, etc.). But I thought it was entertaining enough—though I'm still disappointed Joby had such a small role, lol
Yes, I was surprised at the small token role of Joby as well. I wonder why she got such as big credit at the beginning. And overall, the film wasn't that bad, I guess. Concerning the wacky make-it-up-as-you-go-along plot, I do have a kind of affection for those, in general. But somehow, it seems that to make them work, you have to have some really over-the-top characters. (Think Ford Sterling.)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:56 pm
Yes, I was surprised at the small token role of Joby as well. I wonder why she got such as big credit at the beginning.
Because she was probably a big box office draw. Remember in Casablanca, Peter Lorre is billed as one of the first few people, but he is only in a small amount of the film.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Steve Massa on the extant Wanda Wiley shorts:

"Most of the Wiley shorts that survive are in pretty good shape. LOC has A THRILLING ROMANCE ('26), THE QUEEN OF ACES ('25) and an incomplete JANE'S TROUBLES ('26). DFI has A SPEEDY MARRIAGE ('25) and an Austrain archive (can't remember which one) has YEARNING FOR LOVE ('26). The EYE Filmmuseum has nitrate on SOME TOMBOY ('24).

Those are the ones that I know of - I hope there are others. That means about 60 are missing."

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for that info! 60 lost. My goodness! And unfortunately, I guess none of these other extant ones are available to view? I tried searching for The Queen of Spades at the LOC, hoping it might be available in their online digital collection, but drew a total blank.