The Lost World (1925) newly restored!

This is the place for news or information regarding the Silent Photoplay.
dachshundonstilts

Re: The Lost World (1925) newly restored!

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Got my copy today, as well as a copy of The Sea Beast! Groovy, two silents in one day's mail.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Cool! I expect a review of both very soon! :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:08 pm
Got my copy today, as well as a copy of The Sea Beast! Groovy, two silents in one day's mail.
Great! Will be looking forward to your impressions.
(All I got in the mail today was a soggy property tax bill. :( )

dachshundonstilts

Sorry about your soggy taxes, Donnie.
Hoping to get to these films this weekend. Been staying up late the last few nights editing some Star Trek fan films for a friend. Tonight it's sleep ASAP.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

dachshundonstilts

I watched this recently. The restoration and tinting are quite beautiful; lots of different hues used. The amount of additional material that's been recovered is huge, even compared to the last longer version that came out around 2005. There are whole subplots involving the hero Ed Malone's fiancee and his job at the newspaper that I don't remember seeing before. The old guy's hankering for Bessie Love is still as creepy as ever, though there's a touching scene where he gives his blessing to her union with Ed.

The extras on the Blu-ray include some unused Willis O'Brien test animation, as well as footage from an abandoned film called "Creation" that convinced Merian Cooper to hire O'Brien for "King Kong." There's also a dry-as-dust commentary track I couldn't sit through. All in all, worth the cover price.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for the information! I may have to check this one out.