Vintage Photos at Random

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Re: Vintage Photos at Random

Post by donnie »

That’s an interesting one—never knew about that. I’ll bet that gave Yankee fans a scare! Regarding the fans, look how ubiquitous those straw hats with the dark bands were in that era.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I was listening to String of Pearls by the Glenn Miller Orchestra on YouTube, and the poster had some interesting photos during it. Here is a screenshot of one I liked. It appears to be downtown Dallas during the 40's.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 7.33.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 7.33.01 PM.png (672.07 KiB) Viewed 4339 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That's really cool! I love that you can see all the place names.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here's another one from that video. I don't know who these people are or what they are doing, but I found this oddly appealing for some reason.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 7.35.25 PM copy.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 7.35.25 PM copy.png (552.15 KiB) Viewed 4328 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 pm
Here's another one from that video. I don't know who these people are or what they are doing, but I found this oddly appealing for some reason.
From Alamy.com --

Workers Welfare at a Royal Ordnance Factory- Life at Rof Bridgend, January 1942 War workers knit, read magazines and chat in the workers lounge at ROF Bridgend. Matron is on hand to answer any of their questions and offer any advice they may need.

It's a nice photo!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:19 pm
donnie wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 pm
From Alamy.com --

Workers Welfare at a Royal Ordnance Factory- Life at Rof Bridgend, January 1942 War workers knit, read magazines and chat in the workers lounge at ROF Bridgend. Matron is on hand to answer any of their questions and offer any advice they may need.

It's a nice photo!
Thanks for the info!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mulberry Street, NYC, circa 1900. I'm not sure if this is original color photography (it was around, though rare, at that time); or if it has been colorized. I suspect the latter, since the buildings in the background are gray, though I suppose that could be due to haze in the distance. What do you think? Fascinating photo, at any rate. What a teeming mass of humanity!
Attachments
NYC_Mulberry_Street_3g04637u.jpg
NYC_Mulberry_Street_3g04637u.jpg (4.43 MiB) Viewed 4304 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I think this is definitely colorized. It doesn't really look right. It's a neat picture, though. I'd like to see the original.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yeah, upon looking more closely, is definitely colorized. It looks as if the person doing the colorizing got tired before they got to the background and stopped, hoping no one would notice—which would be perfectly understandable. :)

I noticed also that a lot of the people in the foreground were looking at the camera, so I guess they were aware they were being photographed. I wonder where the camera was positioned?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Maybe it's just me, but it kind of looks like these people are out of place. It reminds me of the colorforms we had as kids. Almost like cut outs that were positioned there. Of course, I very well could be wrong, but that's what they make me think of.