Vintage Photos at Random

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: Vintage Photos at Random

Post by Kitty »

I really liked this picture, too! Look at the littlest boy's face! How proud and happy he looks! I wonder what became of him?
05402u.preview.jpg
05402u.preview.jpg (58.82 KiB) Viewed 6861 times
January 1909. Macon, Georgia. "This boy has worked in Payne Cotton Mill for 2 yrs. Runs four sides and earns 52 cents a day. Overseer has hand on boy's shoulder. He said this mill made 70% profit last year and expects to make 100% this year. Owned by Bibb Mfg. Co." View full size. Photo by Lewis Wickes Hine.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Fascinating photos! I wonder how many hours he had to work for that 52¢.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:00 am
Fascinating photos! I wonder how many hours he had to work for that 52¢.
I don't know. I'm going to do some research on the subject. I never thought about it! The child workers may have been paid less than an adult.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I like this photo of a family watching TV in 1958.
Attachments
Family_watching_television_1958.jpg
Family_watching_television_1958.jpg (384.02 KiB) Viewed 6855 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Neat! I like that one, too. It looks like they're watching a quiz show.

donnie

Post by donnie »

That photo was in the Wikipedia article on the history of television. I was interested in trying to learn what percentage of American households had TV in a given year, but I later found that elsewhere. I had been commenting that the living room in our house, which was built in 1950, doesn't look designed to accommodate a TV, so that's what made me wonder. (9% had them in 1950—no charge for that info. :) )

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Very interesting!!
I knew I'd seen that picture before.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Hannah T. Corwin

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oh wow! Do you know anything about her?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Well, I've read something or other about her, but can't remember much except that she was famous for her hair.