Unbelievable Ads

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: Unbelievable Ads

Post by Kitty »

I don't even know what kefir is!

And 8 glasses of milk!!!!!! I can barely finish my one tall glass that I have on occasion with food.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kefir = good stuff! Love the Lifeway brand (plain, not flavored). Comes in quarts in the dairy section. Thick, creamy, an agreeable sourness something between yogurt and buttermilk. Lots of good probiotics, too. If you buy any, just be sure to shake it reeeeally well...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm going to look for it and try it. Love trying new things!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:D You may like it. Lifeway has strawberry and blueberry flavors, I think, as well as the plain. I get the plain to avoid the sugar and just because I like the natural flavor of the kefir itself.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Behold! This made up story of a lady we drew in this picture. Restore deafness without an apparatus or drugs (not really sure what drugs they're talking about, anyway)! And I wonder if this lady who allegedly heard "peculiar noises" in her head was just becoming senile? Send away for this book with the magic spell needed in order to restore perfect hearing! :lol:
Attachments
motionpicturesto04moti_0879.jpg
motionpicturesto04moti_0879.jpg (167.16 KiB) Viewed 3891 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's an interesting one. I wonder how many took the bait! "Observe her delight in this hypothetical illustration" Lol. Somehow that seems a little less than convincing. The precursor of: "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV" perhaps?

Yes, the alleged "peculiar noises" could be psychological, or it could be tinnitus, though I don't know if that would be termed "peculiar".

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:30 pm
"Observe her delight in this hypothetical illustration" Lol. Somehow that seems a little less than convincing. The precursor of: "I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV" perhaps?
It does sound like that!!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Whew. Here's a bad one. With one illustration it manages to be viciously racist while at the same time promoting two different stereotypes—all of which has nothing to do with GE ranges. :?
Attachments
vintage_ads_08.jpg
vintage_ads_08.jpg (89.2 KiB) Viewed 3878 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

It makes me wonder why they wanted to go certain ways in advertising. It does get your attention, but come on! They couldn't have thought of ANYTHING else? I wonder when that is from?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:00 pm
I wonder when that is from?
Hard to tell for sure, but from the look of the appliance, I'd guess late 40's-early 50's.