Unbelievable Ads

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: Unbelievable Ads

Post by Kitty »

Neat! Thanks for the links. I wondered if they'd gotten into trouble for anything.... It's astonishing how many of those remedies back then were revealed as quacks or got onto legal trouble.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Edit: I put in the wrong year—would be $6.11 in today's money.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:56 pm
:shock: I wonder how much whiskey sold for. Would probably have gotten the same effect, anyway!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:18 pm
donnie wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:56 pm
:shock: I wonder how much whiskey sold for. Would probably have gotten the same effect, anyway!
It was during prohibition, so whiskey wasn't for sale—hence the company's attempt to sneak alcoholic beverage through legally, in effect. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Ah, I see!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Err, no thanks.
Attachments
bizarre-vintage-food-ads-5.jpg
bizarre-vintage-food-ads-5.jpg (115.49 KiB) Viewed 3559 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

:shock: eww!

donnie

Post by donnie »

And some butter might be good on those pancakes.

Ok. But why is there a naked child?
Attachments
bizarre-vintage-food-ads-4.jpg
bizarre-vintage-food-ads-4.jpg (105.4 KiB) Viewed 3556 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Wow! What an ad! Did you read the whole thing? They are really singing the praises of butter---just short of presenting it as a meal in itself. :lol:
To answer your question, I can't! Maybe they used to weigh and measure children naked? Odd!

donnie

Post by donnie »

People used to consume massive amounts of dairy. Weren't like 8 glasses of milk a day or something recommended for children back decades ago? And that was full fat milk. And now there is a lot of question as to whether dairy is healthful to consume in any amount. I used to eat a lot myself, but almost totally avoid it now, except for a small amount of yogurt or kefir.