Magazine Ads

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: Magazine Ads

Post by Kitty »

:lol: haha I wonder how they did ship that last one? Must have taken months to get there.
I have never seen a new Sears catalogue, let alone an old one. That would be a cool thing to see!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

It would have been shipped by freight. Now how you got it off the train once it arrived at the station...I guess that would be your problem. :lol: Seriously, it makes you wonder how they did what they did back in that era. I mean, bells weighing many tons were lifted up and installed in steeples, courthouses, etc. How did they do that? Think about those 15 or 20 story skyscrapers that were erected in NY City by 1905 or so. They would have had to dig foundations down to bedrock for those things. Was that done with men using shovels?? I'm sure they had some steam-powered equipment, but it seems a lot of things would have had to be done by hand--with a lot of labor. And think about the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge...that was way back in the 1800's. I digress...

Below is the 1897 repro I have. I also have a 1901 and a 1927. One thing that makes these fascinating to me is that they show a complete cross-section of life at that time, because Sears sold everything—clothing, tools, musical instruments, furniture, appliances, jewelry, carriages, tombstones, medicine, groceries...bells....

(Mine has a little different cover.)
https://www.amazon.com/1897-Sears-Roebu ... +catalogue

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here is a page from the ladies' shoes section of the 1897 Sears. Look at the bizarrely long points they came to. All of them were like this—the men's, too.
Attachments
img009.jpg
img009.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 6914 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Awesome! They must have really had to pick up their feet when they walked with those! Hmm I wonder if heels were easier to wear back then because of the long toe?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

What a beautiful Kodak advertisement! Do you ever wonder who the people in these ads were?
Attachments
motionpicturesto04moti_0727.jpg
motionpicturesto04moti_0727.jpg (117.82 KiB) Viewed 6912 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've never been on a cruise.... Maybe I'll book soon! :lol:
Attachments
motionpicturesto04moti_0728.jpg
motionpicturesto04moti_0728.jpg (182.25 KiB) Viewed 6912 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

I've never been on one either—that one does look delightful!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Did you notice how long the cruises are for? Those are definitely for rich people, being gone from work for so long. I bet it wasn't super crowded for this reason.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Wow, no I didn't notice that. Definitely upper strata only. This makes me wonder if cruises for middle class people are a modern phenomenon.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Look at those gelatin molds!
Attachments
Screenshot_20170824-231616~01.png
Screenshot_20170824-231616~01.png (2.69 MiB) Viewed 6878 times