Magazine Ads

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: Magazine Ads

Post by Kitty »

This is from the very back cover of the November 1912 Motion Picture Story. I didn't notice it before, but I was searching for something else and saw it.
Attachments
November Back 1912.jpg
November Back 1912.jpg (161.85 KiB) Viewed 3355 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's an interesting ad. I wonder what the blue print on the coupon is referring to. (Butterflies, etc.)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:18 pm
That's an interesting ad. I wonder what the blue print on the coupon is referring to. (Butterflies, etc.)
I didn't give much thought to it before, but maybe it refers to the little trading cards that used to come inside boxes of cigarettes? I could be wrong, just a guess.

Update: I just googled, and it looks like I'm right.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I see, I'd forgotten about those trading cards. So, what would "Specify large bathing girl desired" mean...? :?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:25 pm
I see, I'd forgotten about those trading cards. So, what would "Specify large bathing girl desired" mean...? :?
:lol: :lol: I at first thought maybe they were advertising to send in for a large picture of it for that one.... But the fact that 'large' is capitalized... I'm thinking these are cards of big women. I googled it briefly and didn't come up with anything, whereas all the others did. :? is right. :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

I guess this must remain a mystery... :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Well, this one is cool on multiple accounts.
1. What Happened To Mary was the first serial produced in the US starting in 1912, being released once a month for 12 months.
2. According to the Progressive Silent Film List, a print exists. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that it is readily available for viewing on the 'net.
3. It was made by the Edison Company, whose building was in Orange, N.J., which is only an hour north from where I used to live. (Ah! If I only knew then what I know now, what historical film sites I would have seen!)
And 4. This building is now a historical landmark and called Thomas Edison National Historical Park, a museum! I think all of these things are super cool.
Attachments
motionpicturesto05moti_0699.jpg
motionpicturesto05moti_0699.jpg (523.55 KiB) Viewed 3328 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

That would be interesting to see, wouldn't it? Yes, there is so much early film history in the area where you were. I think all the Edison films are interesting. Many of them are favorites of mine.

I figured this must star Mary Fuller, and turns out it that it indeed does. She was in another serial a couple of years later The Active Life of Dolly of the Dailies. One episode still exists, and I actually have a copy of that on my computer. I believe it was in one of the Treasures DVD sets I bought a while back.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've never seen a full set of serials. That would be great!

donnie

Post by donnie »

I don't think I have, either. I have a complete one called Woman in Grey from 1920. It's in 15 parts. It was reviewed by R Michael on the old GS page, and I bought the dvd and ripped it, but like so much else, have never got around to watching it.