Vintage Christmas Ads

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Re: Vintage Christmas Ads

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:56 pm
They're decanters to put cologne and perfumes in.
Even like, the telephone?
Kitty wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:56 pm
Did you notice snoopy in a bathtub??? :lol:
Yes, I did. :D

I didn't know you had to burp them. :)
Attachments
1953-Give-the-pen-that-burps.jpeg
1953-Give-the-pen-that-burps.jpeg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 990 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I have no idea what they're talking about. I've never had to do anything like 'burping' a fountain pen. :lol: Maybe they're made differently now?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:50 pm
I have no idea what they're talking about. I've never had to do anything like 'burping' a fountain pen. :lol: Maybe they're made differently now?
Yes. I think I know what they’re talking about. Instead of using cartridges, the fountain pens at that time just had an ink reservoir inside that you filled by sticking the nib down in an ink bottle. I know some of them had little levers on the side you used to pump the ink in, but some of them just drew it in automatically by capillary action, somehow—this must be one of those, as I don’t see a lever anywhere.

So I'm guessing what they’re referring to would be a trapped air bubble inside that would prevent the reservoir being filled fully. I don’t know how you “burped” the pen to get that air bubble out, though.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:27 pm
Yes. I think I know what they’re talking about. Instead of using cartridges, the fountain pens at that time just had an ink reservoir inside that you filled by sticking the nib down in an ink bottle. I know some of them had little levers on the side you used to pump the ink in, but some of them just drew it in automatically by capillary action, somehow—this must be one of those, as I don’t see a lever anywhere.

So I'm guessing what they’re referring to would be a trapped air bubble inside that would prevent the reservoir being filled fully. I don’t know how you “burped” the pen to get that air bubble out, though.
You're probably right, but I have pens that fill that way, and you just have to make sure all the air is out of it before you start filling. No burping needed!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:43 pm
You're probably right, but I have pens that fill that way, and you just have to make sure all the air is out of it before you start filling. No burping needed!
So you have the kind that just draws ink out of the bottle? How do you make sure the air is out?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:52 pm
Kitty wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:43 pm
So you have the kind that just draws ink out of the bottle? How do you make sure the air is out?
I actually have a converter that I put in the pen. You twist it all the way down so there's no air and then you put the nib in the ink and carefully twist it back up so it sucks the ink into the converter.

I have been doing a bit of googling, and it looks like the burping thing exists in eyedropper pens, which I don't have.

P. S. It must be eyedropper pens that are being depicted in cartoons where ink gets squirted into people's eyes.

donnie

Post by donnie »

The complicated world of fountain pens... :) I wonder what it is that makes a fountain pen so pleasurable to write with. Ball points just aren't exactly the same.

Meanwhile:

Have you an adequate supply of Q-Tips?? Christmas is here, better get on board!
Attachments
Christmas-Q-Tips-from-December-1957.jpeg
Christmas-Q-Tips-from-December-1957.jpeg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 926 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm not so sure about that advice about making cards with mom's nail polish....