"The Tragedy of Clara Bow's Life"

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
BettyLouSpence

"The Tragedy of Clara Bow's Life"

Post by BettyLouSpence »

From a 1935 anti-Hollywood polemic called Sodom and Gomorrah: The Story of Hollywood. In this chapter the author not only criticizes fan mag articles as nothing more than vapid clickbait-y encomiums, but takes a stab at writing one himself to really hammer the point home. Page 152 is the beginning of his "article", The Tragedy of Clara Bow's Life, and it is positively dripping with snark. Enjoy!

https://archive.org/details/sodomgomorr ... 2/mode/2up

You can also read it here, under this spoiler:
► Show Spoiler
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Re: "The Tragedy of Clara Bow's Life"

Post by donnie »

Wow, that's hilarious. :lol: And revealing—not of Clara, but of the methods of the movie mag writers. :) It's amazing that so much can be said about nothing, if you really try. The funniest thing, though, was Clara's high-sounding, philosophical declarations. :D

Question: How much of this sort of thing do you think is still going on—albeit on a more sophisticated level? Of course, there are the tabloids, but that's more lurid/scandal-oriented.

BettyLouSpence

Re: "The Tragedy of Clara Bow's Life"

Post by BettyLouSpence »

There are so many great quotes from this. My favorite is:

"And let me say right here, my patient reader, that Clara Bow is Hollywood's greatest philosopher. Emanuel Kant would've idolized her. Schopenhauer would've adored her. And as for the the Greeks, well, the Greeks had a word for it."

I think I might make this one my signature :lol:
donnie wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:17 pm
Question: How much of this sort of thing do you think is still going on—albeit on a more sophisticated level? Of course, there are the tabloids, but that's more lurid/scandal-oriented.
It still goes on, I've certainly seen my share of fawning articles on specific celebs, though it seems to be limited to gushing over their fashion sense or their families (especially if they've just had a baby). Oh, and clickbait (looking at you, Buzzfeed). Clickbait never changes.
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...