Antique Books

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
User avatar
donnie
Posts: 4230
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:28 am

Re: Antique Books

Post by donnie » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:24 pm

Wonderful illustration. What is the date of this paperback?

User avatar
dachshundonstilts
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:34 pm

Re: Antique Books

Post by dachshundonstilts » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:46 pm

donnie wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:24 pm
Wonderful illustration. What is the date of this paperback?
Unfortunately it doesn’t give any date besides 1907, but I don’t think it would be any earlier than the late thirties, as paperbacks don’t appear to have been common before then.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, "It" (1927)

User avatar
Kitty
Posts: 5307
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Antique Books

Post by Kitty » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:32 am

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:46 pm
donnie wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:24 pm
Wonderful illustration. What is the date of this paperback?
Unfortunately it doesn’t give any date besides 1907, but I don’t think it would be any earlier than the late thirties, as paperbacks don’t appear to have been common before then.
According to this website, your book is from 1931. 🙂 It originally had a slipcase. https://seriesofseries.owu.edu/bonibooks-paper-books/
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

User avatar
dachshundonstilts
Posts: 306
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:34 pm

Re: Antique Books

Post by dachshundonstilts » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:06 pm

Kitty wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:32 am
dachshundonstilts wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:46 pm
donnie wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:24 pm
Wonderful illustration. What is the date of this paperback?
Unfortunately it doesn’t give any date besides 1907, but I don’t think it would be any earlier than the late thirties, as paperbacks don’t appear to have been common before then.
According to this website, your book is from 1931. 🙂 It originally had a slipcase. https://seriesofseries.owu.edu/bonibooks-paper-books/
Neat! Thanks for the research. Now I want the slipcase! :| That's an interesting transitional stage between hardcover and pure paperback, I guess.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, "It" (1927)

User avatar
Kitty
Posts: 5307
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Antique Books

Post by Kitty » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:15 pm

I got some more antique books today!!!
Rhymes of Childhood - Edgar A. Guest (1924)
Billy Baxter's Letters - Wm. J. Kountz Jr. (1899)
The Birds' Christmas Carol - Kate Douglas Wiggin (1941)
Big Book for Little Folk Number 3 - John Martin (1919)

I also bought The Complete Book of Claudia by Rose Franken (1940) and Little Duck by Marjorie Barrows. (1935) on ebay recently.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

User avatar
donnie
Posts: 4230
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:28 am

Re: Antique Books

Post by donnie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Sounds like a great collection! :D

User avatar
Kitty
Posts: 5307
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Antique Books

Post by Kitty » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:32 pm

Here is another treasure that is inside my Thomas Moore book.🙂
Back and front, a clipping of an unidentified man.
IMG_20190617_164907658~01.jpg
IMG_20190617_164907658~01.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 350 times
IMG_20190617_164916057~01.jpg
IMG_20190617_164916057~01.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 350 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

User avatar
donnie
Posts: 4230
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:28 am

Re: Antique Books

Post by donnie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:31 pm

:) I wonder what that was from. And aren't those kinds of line illustrations beautiful. Those are one of my favorite things about 19th century books.

User avatar
Kitty
Posts: 5307
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Antique Books

Post by Kitty » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:07 am

Yes!! They made lithographs through the '50s, but the ones from the teens and earlier are really charming.

P. S. I got 5 more books yesterday! Details to come! 🙂
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

User avatar
Kitty
Posts: 5307
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Antique Books

Post by Kitty » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:09 am

More out of the Thomas Moore book. Have you ever seen these before? Is this what they'd give at funerals?
Attachments
IMG_20190617_164719791~01.jpg
IMG_20190617_164719791~01.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 338 times
IMG_20190617_165551935~01~01.jpg
IMG_20190617_165551935~01~01.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 338 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Post Reply