Antique Books

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Re: Antique Books

Post by donnie »

What a beautiful book!! That is a treasure, indeed. I'm glad you were able to get it! What other kinds of things are in it?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:33 am
What a beautiful book!! That is a treasure, indeed. I'm glad you were able to get it! What other kinds of things are in it?
I read the whole thing yesterday. It's mostly informational, but fun, and has lots of short poems and stories. I will be blogging about them. There is one in particular that is very cute about dogs that I'll do first. They also talk about how they are developing submarines, but I don't believe they use that word. (There's a picture on every page, too.) It states that they are developed for war and have not been able to use them in war yet because there have been no wars recently. The first reason they give of this, among the fact that war is bad, is that war is expensive. I kind of thought that was funny.
There is another page that talks about airships, and has a neat picture, too. It expresses that someday we will be able to fly. Keep in mind this is from 1891.
It's a bit strange to me (maybe it shouldn't be?) That there is so much talk about England and royalty, but it is an American book, and specifically speaks of "here in New England we...." and says "now it's Christmas and..." (Paraphrasing that one). It's almost like they weren't planning on selling the book after Christmas. They talk about how in Egypt they had recently unwrapped two mummies, a son and father, and how it was remarkable the resemblance of the family members. Oh, it is a very cool book.
Here is a beautiful picture that the camera doesn't really do justice to. The book says that the artist entitled it The Secret.
Screenshot_20171231-102118.png
Screenshot_20171231-102118.png (4.28 MiB) Viewed 5254 times
And the back cover even has a lovely illustration!
IMG_20171230_231349438_BURST001~01.jpg
IMG_20171230_231349438_BURST001~01.jpg (2.42 MiB) Viewed 5254 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Those illustrations are truly outstanding...what beautiful work. So the book is kind of a combination of factual information and fiction, then? What ages do you think it was aimed at?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Many antique children's books are like this. They try to teach children to be kind and compassionate with parables of sort. Sometimes the stories are first person point of view, relating a story about how kind a child was to their pet cat for example. They also have info about animals or historical things of interest. It is a little difficult to tell from today's point of view what age group it is geared towards, because their reading levels were more advanced; they used bigger words and peculiar language in those days. My guess would be between 8-12 year olds.
Yes, the main reason that I look for children's books is because the illustrations were so very beautiful. ☺️ They just don't make 'em like this anymore.
Oh! And P.S., there is a "deaf and dumb alphabet" chart in this book, and it is not the sign language that I was taught as a kid. Maybe someone who knows the history of sign language can clear that up for us?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:23 pm
Many antique children's books are like this. They try to teach children to be kind and compassionate with parables of sort. Sometimes the stories are first person point of view, relating a story about how kind a child was to their pet cat for example. They also have info about animals or historical things of interest.
That reminds me of the McGuffey Readers; the reading lessons are like that. Have you ever looked at any McGuffey Readers? I have a reproduction boxed set of Readers 1-6 that my mother gave me many years ago. I haven't looked at those in years; I'll have to pull them out.
Kitty wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:23 pm
It is a little difficult to tell from today's point of view what age group it is geared towards, because their reading levels were more advanced; they used bigger words and peculiar language in those days. My guess would be between 8-12 year olds.
You're right, it is hard to tell. There is so much difference between the ordinary vocabulary of a person now and then.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I think I have seen McGuffey readers. I don't think I have any, but I have some primers. I'll look at them. I always think of making a log of the books I have, but I seem to end up putting it off for one reason or another.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

The book I just read was really enthralling! It is a small book in seven chapters. I don't want to tell anything much about the book, because I am going to blog all the chapters soon, one a day for a week. I will tell you that it is about a boy and his sister. Their parents died and they live on their uncle's farm. It is a pretty religious book, as could be expected from a book from 1867. I almost couldn't put the thing down! :) Well, I guess I didn't! :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I read my Children's Hour With Cinderella and Other Stories book from 1922 today. It is written in blue pen "Rebecca Gillette Courtland Virginia C.H.S. 1924". I'm glad I got this one. (of course!) but more so because I wasn't going to at first. This has Cinderella, The Frog Prince, Babes in the Wood (very sad story), The Sleeping Beauty, and---get this---Snowdrop and the Seven Dwarfs. I've never seen her called Snowdrop, as I can recall. This one was funny. I quote "Of course she married the prince, and she, her husband and the good little dwarfs lived happily ever after, but the cruel step-mother came to a bad end, and no one was even sorry for her." :lol: harsh! I supposed she did try to kill Snowdrop three times.
This book is really cute, and it even has some pretty color pictures. Despite the fact that there are five stories in this book, it is a small one, at approximately fifty pages (the pages aren't numbered), they blow through some of the stories. I just love it, though. SUCH a great book.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Mumpsy Goes To Kindergarten is all about a little yellow kitty who wants nothing more but to go to kindergarten with his human friend Janet. Will he make it? What a CUTE story!!! It's from 1947, and it seems that Elaine Ann, 1947 got this book brand spankin' new. It's in great condition, and the pages aren't torn or folded or colored in. I very much enjoyed this story.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I found a couple more books today! 😃 One is The Book of Wonders (1914) and the other is a record and book Bozo at the Circus (1946). The record is not there, but guess what? It's on YouTube!!! ❤️❤️❤️
10658.jpeg
10658.jpeg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 5058 times
10660.jpeg
10660.jpeg (686.91 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
10657.jpeg
10657.jpeg (960.84 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
10659.jpeg
10659.jpeg (628.87 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
10662.jpeg
10662.jpeg (670.51 KiB) Viewed 5058 times
Attachments
IMG_20180127_160052055~01.jpg
IMG_20180127_160052055~01.jpg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 5058 times