Vintage Supermarket Photos

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: Vintage Supermarket Photos

Post by Kitty »

I bet it was so much easier back then compared to today to work in a place like that.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

This is cheating, as this is a drugstore photo instead of a supermarket, but I thought I'd slide it in here.

Ethel Oxley's store in Southington, Connecticut, 1942. Now that's what you call utilizing space! I wish this were a high-rez photo so you could zoom in and look at all the particulars.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (470.22 KiB) Viewed 4551 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That's pretty great! I'm guessing that's Ethel. She looks like a nice lady.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Night time view of Sisto's Pharmacy storefront, New York City, 1930.
Attachments
2.png
2.png (856.68 KiB) Viewed 4541 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

Curious about Polymol (which is what all those look-alike bottles are, I would guess), I looked it up. It is a brand of Paracetamol. So I looked that up and it is none other than Acetaminophen, a.k.a. Tylenol. :) Still not sure what it would have to do with Our Gang. (They gave adults headaches?)

Skipping ahead a few years, and still in the drugstore mode, here we have a waitress with a beehive hairdo taking orders at a lunch counter in Saltville, Virginia in 1965 (when big hair was really big).
Attachments
3.png
3.png (741.37 KiB) Viewed 4531 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Boy, am I glad that went out of style. Those hairdos look stupid! :lol:

The Our Gang ads are actually advertising hair tonic. Still, that doesn't clear up the mystery of why use Our Gang. Maybe they were really that popular!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:14 pm
The Our Gang ads are actually advertising hair tonic. Still, that doesn't clear up the mystery of why use Our Gang. Maybe they were really that popular!
Oh, the info I found on Polymol is the wrong Polymol then—I should have looked more closely. :?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

All is forgiven! 👼😂

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:42 pm
All is forgiven! 👼😂
My mind is not too clear today—drowsy—did not sleep very well last night because of the wind gusts beating the ice against the windows. Lovely weather here. :?

Anyway, continuing in the drugstore vein, here's one from southern California, 1927. I'm trying to figure what the clerk is doing in the foreground. Juicing an orange? What's the Passion Orange plastic bottle looking thing—?
Attachments
4.png
4.png (786.37 KiB) Viewed 4519 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

it sort of looks like a rubber thing that he's squeezing to get the juice out of the bottle.