Vintage Supermarket Photos

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Vintage Supermarket Photos

Post by donnie »

For some reason, I have a fixation with vintage photos of grocery stores. :geek: I think they're interesting, and I also like looking at old products or product labels.

Here is one from 1924. You can right click to open in a new tab and supersize, if wanted.

Last edited by donnie on Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kitty

Re: Vintage Supermarket Photos

Post by Kitty »

So cool! I like looking at those, too especially to see the old style of labels. Have you been to this site? It's amazing. I almost ordered his book on amazon, but it was going to be months before I got it.
:roll: so I decided not to.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/cereal-guide.html
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

From the '60's. A little crowded, huh?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Look at that lady in the sunglasses! She's a cool dudette.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This one is cool. I got it from shorpy.com
Washington, D.C., circa 1922. "Sport Mart, 1303 F Street N.W." National Photo Company glass negative.
Attachments
30432u-xmas.jpg
30432u-xmas.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 5270 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yeah, I figured this thread was something up your alley, too. I'll take a look at that lavasurfer link—after I get back from the grocery store. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

:lol: :lol:

Yeah actually I've been thinking of making a category talking about old literature, too, so it was perfect.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Now the cereal site is something. There are a lot I remember there, and a lot I never heard of. (Donkey Kong cereal??)
I didn't see the old regular Nabisco Shredded Wheat. I used to like that. As a child, I thought it was cool because it came in big biscuits. Of course, I would pour tons of sugar on it, so it was no healthier than Cap'n Crunch or any of the others.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I think that cereal isn't there because the site is about the mascots. We never added extra sugar on our cereals. Probably because we were already eating count chocula and coco puffs :lol:

I've seen the kind in the big lumps. I was left wondering how you're supposed to eat them! Haha