Dawn O'Hara, The Girl Who Laughed

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Dawn O'Hara, The Girl Who Laughed

Post by donnie »

(Link to Kitty's original blog: https://blog.silentphotoplay.com/2022/0 ... o-laughed/)

This is one of the best books I’ve read in a long time. It’s a wonderful story with one of the most engaging characters I’ve encountered. Edna Ferber’s descriptive powers and abilities at characterization are really something special. I’m so glad you found this book, and thank you for recommending it. :)

Well, some comments. First, on the setting—such an important part of the story. 1911 Milwaukee really comes alive and becomes as beloved to the reader as it is to Dawn. It’s obvious that Ferber had to have had not only a close acquaintance with both the look and feel, the daily ins and outs of the newspaper business, but also an intimate knowledge of the city of Milwaukee, with its German people and traditions. But yes, like you, I had to hit the Google translator hard! (And wasn't always perfectly successful.)

On the characters:

Dawn is so unique and likable with a strong and three-dimensional personality. Right from the beginning, you identify with her. She is vulnerable, yet has a strength and sense of integrity. And she also has that unique kind of self-deprecating humor and an entertaining unpredictability.

And there are so many other endearing characters: Frau Nirlanger, the lady in the cottage (forget her name), Frau Knapf (I loved her! :D), but most especially—Blackie. What an unforgettable and lovable character.

One character I could never get a clear picture of in my mind was Gerhard. He did not come into focus as much as much as some of the other characters. For one thing, I wasn’t entirely sure about his age and couldn’t pin down his personality.
► Show Spoiler
How did you feel about Gerhard?

And of course, there were the detestable characters,
► Show Spoiler
On the plot:

There were so many moving parts:
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Re: Dawn O'Hara, The Girl Who Laughed

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:04 pm
This is one of the best books I’ve read in a long time. It’s a wonderful story with one of the most engaging characters I’ve encountered. Edna Ferber’s descriptive powers and abilities at characterization are really something special. I’m so glad you found this book, and thank you for recommending it. :)
I'm so glad you liked it!
donnie wrote:
Well, some comments. First, on the setting—such an important part of the story. 1911 Milwaukee really comes alive and becomes as beloved to the reader as it is to Dawn. It’s obvious that Ferber had to have had not only a close acquaintance with both the look and feel, the daily ins and outs of the newspaper business, but also an intimate knowledge of the city of Milwaukee, with its German people and traditions.
The descriptions make you really want to visit this place. Couldn't you just smell the pastries in the bakery? I want to go there so badly.

donnie wrote:
Dawn is so unique and likable with a strong and three-dimensional personality. Right from the beginning, you identify with her. She is vulnerable, yet has a strength and sense of integrity. And she also has that unique kind of self-deprecating humor and an entertaining unpredictability.
I really want more books with Dawn O'Hara in them!
donnie wrote:
but most especially—Blackie. What an unforgettable and lovable character.
I pictured Blackie looking like Burgess Meredith. In my mind he looked exactly like he did in the Twilight Zone episode Printer's Devil.
donnie wrote:
One character I could never get a clear picture of in my mind was Gerhard. He did not come into focus as much as much as some of the other characters. For one thing, I wasn’t entirely sure about his age and couldn’t pin down his personality. .... How did you feel about Gerhard?
I think I feel exactly the same as you do. I couldn't get quite a clear picture in my mind of him, either. I think that he was a bit older than her, as he was the husband's friend, but his picture is hazy. I'm sort of wondering if she didn't know what she was going to do with him early on in the book,
► Show Spoiler
donnie wrote:
There were so many moving parts:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
[/quote]
donnie wrote:
► Show Spoiler
Blackie is the best character in the whole thing. I'm wondering if she knew a guy like that in her own newspaper office.
donnie wrote:
And I loved the way she ended it with the goodbye tear left on Blackie’s coat, then Gerhard calling to her softly, and then “I’m coming,” signalling her goodbye to the old life and the beginning of their new life together. Just perfect.
[/spoil]
I think this book could be a fantastic movie if directed right.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:26 am
The descriptions make you really want to visit this place. Couldn't you just smell the pastries in the bakery? I want to go there so badly.
Yes, that bakery was incredible. But my, that German cuisine! :o You'd gain 300 pounds or either have a heart attack before age 40. (Or both.) :lol: I’ll bet Americans of German descent who may have read this at that time enjoyed it, especially if they were midwesterners or Milwaukeeans.
Kitty wrote:
I really want more books with Dawn O'Hara in them!
Yes, and by the way, here's a scary thing I learned: Ferber thought her manuscript for this book so bad that it was hopeless and threw it away! :shock: Her mother saw it the trash and snatched it out, else it would never have been published. Can you believe that? Just goes to show you that great writers, artists, composers, etc., are not always the best judge of their own works. (Getting off-topic, but two other examples: Arthur Conan Doyle thought of his Sherlock Holmes stories and junk, hack work. And Tchaikovsky despised The Nutcracker.)
Kitty wrote:
I pictured Blackie looking like Burgess Meredith. In my mind he looked exactly like he did in the Twilight Zone episode Printer's Devil.
The way I pictured him is not too far from Burgess Meredith. There's another actor that I pictured him as exactly looking like, but I don't know who it is. I can picture him very plainly, but don't know where I saw him. Now it bugs me. Maybe it will come to me.

Re Gerhard:
► Show Spoiler
Re Nirlanger:
► Show Spoiler
Kitty wrote:
Blackie is the best character in the whole thing. I'm wondering if she knew a guy like that in her own newspaper office.
She had to have. That was my thinking, because he is just too much of a distinctly drawn character. There had to be a prototype. Of course, he could have been an amalgam of two or three people.
Kitty wrote:
I think this book could be a fantastic movie if directed right.
I thought that too! :) That's a big "if" at the end, though.

I'm definitely interested in reading some of Ferber's other writing.

So let’s see: Edna, a newspaper writer, wrote a book about Dawn, a newspaper writer, who wrote a book about— Edna, a newspaper writer, maybe? Who wrote a book about Dawn, who wrote a book about…

A couple of other things: As is my (probably bad) habit, I noted words and expressions I couldn't understand. I'll list them to see if you know what they mean.

And could you post or send me a photo of that frontispiece and possibly title page? By the way, I enjoy it when you give the details of your individual copy, like the name in it, etc.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:39 pm
Yes, and by the way, here's a scary thing I learned: Ferber thought her manuscript for this book so bad that it was hopeless and threw it away! :shock: Her mother saw it the trash and snatched it out, else it would never have been published. Can you believe that? Just goes to show you that great writers, artists, composers, etc., are not always the best judge of their own works.
That is shocking! Perhaps it was because this was her first book that she didn't realize that it was good; one could argue if it had not been for her mother, she might not have been the big success she became!
donnie wrote:
(Getting off-topic, but two other examples: Arthur Conan Doyle thought of his Sherlock Holmes stories and junk, hack work.
A lot of his short stories are very terrible, but his successes overshadow the fact that his lesser-known stories were obviously churned out as filler.
donnie wrote:
And Tchaikovsky despised The Nutcracker.)
I wonder why? I love anything Tchaikovsky. There's just something to it that makes me happy.
donnie wrote:
The way I pictured him is not too far from Burgess Meredith. There's another actor that I pictured him as exactly looking like, but I don't know who it is. I can picture him very plainly, but don't know where I saw him. Now it bugs me. Maybe it will come to me.
If you think of it, let me know.
► Show Spoiler
donnie wrote:
I'm definitely interested in reading some of Ferber's other writing.
I'll let you know if I find anything else of hers. I think her more popular titles are often outrageous prices, and, I admit, I'm kind of cheap.
donnie wrote:
So let’s see: Edna, a newspaper writer, wrote a book about Dawn, a newspaper writer, who wrote a book about— Edna, a newspaper writer, maybe? Who wrote a book about Dawn, who wrote a book about…
:?
donnie wrote:
A couple of other things: As is my (probably bad) habit, I noted words and expressions I couldn't understand. I'll list them to see if you know what they mean.
Absolutely! I can't wait to see what you have.
donnie wrote:
And could you post or send me a photo of that frontispiece and possibly title page? By the way, I enjoy it when you give the details of your individual copy, like the name in it, etc.
I updated the blog post with those photos. By the way, thank you for making a comment in the comments section. I really appreciate when people do that.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for the photos! Yes, that's just about how I pictured Dawn (sans owl hat :shock: :( ) And the expression on her face might be one Dawn would have. (But that hat has to go.)

Ok, here's the list. I give the sentence for context. (Note: some of these could possibly be misprints in the digital copy I was reading in Apple Books. I did notice there was an oddly placed comma here or there.)

“I used to laugh, sometimes, when I was alone, at the bitter humor of it all. It was like a Duchess novel come to life.”

“You are coming home with me, and you shall sleep and eat, and sleep and eat, until you are as lively as the Widow Malone, ohone, and twice as fat.”

“Dad used to say that a sense of humor was like a shillaly—an iligent thing to have around handy, especially when the joke's on you.”

“Don't you know that the game isn't worth the candle, and that you'll give yourselves nervous jim-jams and then you'll have to go home to be patched up?” (I was able to get a definition of jim-jams; I like that term. :D)

“What did she say?" gurgled Flossie. "Was it something real reezk?”

“It happened in this way, on a day when I was indulging in a particularly greenery-yallery fit of gloom.”

“It needs only a Kaiser or so, and a bit of Unter den Linden to be quite complete.”

“There followed a blessed week of work—a "human warious" week, with something piquant lurking at every turn.”

“There follow days so bristling with real, live copy that perfectly good stuff which, in the ordinary course of events might be used to grace the front sheet, is sandwiched away between the marine intelligence and the Elgin butter reports.”

“Name and address on this slip. Take a Greenfield car. Nice old maid has lived in nice old cottage all her life.”

“Talk! Sa-a-ay, girl, that guy, he could talk the leads right out of a ruled, locked form.”

“I thought his eyes looked somethin' like those of the Black Cat up on the mantel just over his head—you know what I mean, when the electric lights is turned on in-inside{sic} the ugly thing.” (One of the ones I'm suspecting might be a typo. This is from ch. 18.)

“You who had always the money to lend a man Down on his luck and hard up for a V, ”

“There came to my desk one day an envelope bearing the letter-head of the publishing house to which I had sent my story. I balanced it for a moment in my fingers, woman-fashion, wondering, hoping, surmising.”

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

These are the few I came up with. :D The others will take some search time.
donnie wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:34 pm
“You are coming home with me, and you shall sleep and eat, and sleep and eat, until you are as lively as the Widow Malone, ohone, and twice as fat.”
I looked this one up at the time. According to Webster, it's a scot and Irish expression of sorrow or regret.
donnie wrote:
“Dad used to say that a sense of humor was like a shillaly—an iligent thing to have around handy, especially when the joke's on you.”
I think this is an Irish term for clever.
donnie wrote:
“Don't you know that the game isn't worth the candle, and that you'll give yourselves nervous jim-jams and then you'll have to go home to be patched up?” (I was able to get a definition of jim-jams; I like that term. :D)
Jim jams was a funny term. I think the phrase called for here is equal to "hill of beans."
donnie wrote:
“What did she say?" gurgled Flossie. "Was it something real reezk?”
This is a weird way to spell risqué.
donnie wrote:
“It happened in this way, on a day when I was indulging in a particularly greenery-yallery fit of gloom.”
I think this is a term for 'pathetic'.
donnie wrote:
“It needs only a Kaiser or so, and a bit of Unter den Linden to be quite complete.”
From visitberlin.de:
Unter den Linden is one of the most important arterial roads in the centre of Berlin and is the ideal starting point for getting to know the city.
donnie wrote:
“Name and address on this slip. Take a Greenfield car. Nice old maid has lived in nice old cottage all her life.”
I thought this was a type of taxi.
donnie wrote:
“You who had always the money to lend a man Down on his luck and hard up for a V, ”
I'm pretty sure the V (Roman numeral) stands for $5.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks! :D

Yes, Flossie's mispronunciation of risqué, I should have figured that. :lol:

And I thought the V might be a five, but couldn't figure why it wouldn't just be spelled out. I thought maybe it was because it was in that odd little poem :? of Peter's at the beginning of ch. 19. But "V" didn't seem to rhyme with anything. Maybe that was slang for a five, based on the Roman numeral?

On the Elgin butter reports, I'm wondering if that's maybe like an agricultural commodity report or something? Like daily market prices for dairy? Elgin, Illinois is in the vicinity of Milwaukee.

Edit: I'm not sure that would make sense either, though, since farmers don't sell butter, they sell milk, which creameries then manufacture into butter; so there wouldn't be a market price for that, would there?

Mysteries, mysteries... What we need is a Cliff Notes for Dawn O'Hara. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:25 am
Maybe that was slang for a five, based on the Roman numeral?
I think so.
donnie wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:25 am
On the Elgin butter reports,
I can only find this phrase in Dawn O'Hara, so I think it's kind of a cheeky way to say that a lot of the stuff got pushed down to the lesser cared about portions of the paper.