Favorite Paintings

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: Favorite Paintings

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:31 pm
Oh, those are beautiful! Why haven't you posted them before?
I'd intended to, but by the time I'd think about it, it was never the right time of day to be able to take a good picture.
donnie wrote:
The Keswick one is so relaxing and nice to look at, especially when I enlarge it so I can see the detail. The brushwork is really nice, and the clouds, sea, sand, everything is glistening with a delicate silvery sheen. I was at the seashore back last month, and this makes me wish I were back! I see that there are several of this artist's paintings for sale online.
I just wish I could date it. At one point I thought it was from the 60s, but I'm really not sure. It could be from the 90s or brand new for all I know!
donnie wrote:
And that Turner one is so Romantically and terrifyingly dark and stormy and powerful. You can just feel the turbulence and danger—all underneath that tranquil, glimmering moon—which the clouds, however, threaten to obscure.
I love Turner. Alex Trebek taught me about him. 😆
donnie wrote:
I wonder what the size of the original is? And what is the size of the Keswick painting?
The Keswick painting is 50 inches wide and 38 inches tall, including the frame. The original Fishermen At Sea, according to art-facts.com, is 36" x 48.125".
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:56 pm
I just wish I could date it. At one point I thought it was from the 60s, but I'm really not sure. It could be from the 90s or brand new for all I know!
I saw a reference to one from the 80's and another in the 70's.
Kitty wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:56 pm
The Keswick painting is 50 inches wide and 38 inches tall, including the frame.
That's larger than I envisioned. I'll bet it looks great on the wall.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:26 pm
...I like to pretend that the the Keswick one depicts a mother and daughter waiting at the shore for their husband/father, but in the meantime he is battling a big storm.
Maybe he's busy fighting the storm in the Turner painting!
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:25 pm
Kitty wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:26 pm
...I like to pretend that the the Keswick one depicts a mother and daughter waiting at the shore for their husband/father, but in the meantime he is battling a big storm.
Maybe he's busy fighting the storm in the Turner painting!
That's what I meant 😅
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Oops 😂
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

View of Athens with ruins of Hadrian's Aqueduct in the foreground by Louis-François Cassas (1756–1827).
Attachments
Cassas_Louis-Francois_-_View_of_Athens_with_Hadrians_Aqueduct_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
Cassas_Louis-Francois_-_View_of_Athens_with_Hadrians_Aqueduct_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 2127 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

Look at this fabulous abstract I purchased! :)

IMG_6245 2.JPG
IMG_6245 2.JPG (2.2 MiB) Viewed 2061 times

Ok, actually it's just my new mousepad. :D
Attachments
IMG_6245.JPG
IMG_6245.JPG (2.79 MiB) Viewed 2061 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

Speaking of abstracts, here's one by Picasso, Still Life (1922). This one (unlike much of Picasso's work) has a calming, restful quality about it to me. I read an interesting Smithsonian article about another Picasso painting discovered underneath this one.
Attachments
picasso still life 1922.png
picasso still life 1922.png (3.47 MiB) Viewed 2051 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Your painting is very pretty! It is very 1960s to me. I love the thinness of it, if that makes sense at all to you.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I've been looking around at some more of Kazimir Malevich's works.

I learned he was the origin of the Suprematism movement. Information: "What a viewer sees in a work belonging to Suprematism is simplicity and reduction. The main interest of the artists was to search for the so-called zero degree of painting, the point beyond which the medium could not go without ceasing to be art. As a consequence, they used extremely simple motifs, subjects and forms."

Here is a Malevich Composition suprémiste from 1936. I like how the long thin lines act as a connection and make the whole thing appear to be balancing somehow, regardless of gravity. :)
Attachments
Composition suprématiste, dated 1936.png
Composition suprématiste, dated 1936.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 1784 times