Book Reading

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
BettyLouSpence

Re: Book Reading

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I'm currently reading Nisa: The Life and Words of a !Kung Woman by anthropologist Marjorie Shostak. Shostak lived among the hunter-gatherer !Kung San people from 1969 to 1971, and she was especially interested in the role of women in !Kung society. She conducted interviews with many women, but the stories from Nisa especially stood out to her. I'm halfway through and it's a fascinating, hard life she lived. Nisa was described as being nearly fifty in 1971, so born sometime in the early 1920s.
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:50 pm
Book 53.

https://blog.silentphotoplay.com/2024/0 ... its-ghost/
What a fun looking book! :D I love the colorful artwork on the cover and the interior illustrations. And it's certainly packed with adventure! Did you mention how many pages it was? And 15¢. How about that? :)

When I was a kid, I used to read the Whitman Classics, but I'd never seen any of this series. I know you'll have a lot of enjoyment reading these.

Now: that lady sheriff. I would have only a vague preconception of what she might look like, but whatever that preconception is—this ain't it. :lol: But she's probably a good sheriff, because I don't think I'd want to cross her. :shock:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:06 am
Kitty wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:50 pm
Book 53.

https://blog.silentphotoplay.com/2024/0 ... its-ghost/
Did you mention how many pages it was?
No, I didn't, but I edited the post to reflect that info. 288 pages. 😁
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's an interesting sounding one. :) That idea of a parallel, distorted existence seems it would make good material for a story.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:53 pm
That's an interesting sounding one. :) That idea of a parallel, distorted existence seems it would make good material for a story.
It's so dreamlike. In the book, the other mother makes the whole copy just for Coraline, and at one point Coraline explores. As she goes, the forest gets lighter and lighter, almost like it's the edge of a painting. I used to have dreams of flying through town, and as I went past places I knew, the image would get fuzzy around the edges. Probably because I didn't know what was beyond that, so I couldn't picture it.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Book 55 ---

It's another Goosebumps book. This one is entitled The Abominable Snowman of Pasadena.

https://blog.silentphotoplay.com/2024/0 ... -pasadena/

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Book 56 is a Better Little Book ---

Mandrake the Magician and the Flame Pearls (1946)

https://blog.silentphotoplay.com/2024/0 ... me-pearls/

donnie

Post by donnie »

My goodness! :o What a story. Yes, I'd say that's pretty much the definition of "action-packed". It also sounds as if there's a good deal of humor in it. Was there intended to be, or am I just reacting that way?

And I'm curious what kind of gesture that is that Mandrake makes. Is it described?

Thanks for the summary. :)