Book Reading

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: Book Reading

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:40 pm
It also sounds as if there's a good deal of humor in it. Was there intended to be, or am I just reacting that way?
It doesn't take itself too seriously, and is a bit cheeky sometimes, particularly when June is in the picture. I think she's in there to add a bit of lightheartedness when needed. Mandrake is very optimistic, whereas Barton is kind of the polar opposite of June.
donnie wrote:
And I'm curious what kind of gesture that is that Mandrake makes. Is it described?
Nope! He just "gestures hypnotically". I'm imagining it's an open fingered two handed alternating brushing of the air vertically in front of the hypnotizee's eyes. :lol: does this make sense?
donnie wrote:
Thanks for the summary. :)
Well, thank you for reading! This might be my longest review, so I wasn't expecting many people to read it, but so far I've gotten at least 2 readers! :D
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:16 am
I'm imagining it's an open fingered two handed alternating brushing of the air vertically in front of the hypnotizee's eyes. :lol: does this make sense?
Yes. That's the same way I imagined it, only with one hand instead of two. :)
Kitty wrote:
This might be my longest review...
That's a heck of a lot of plot for that many pages. And it sounds as if it would tailor-made for a serial of some kind, appearing in different issues over a period of time.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:38 am
Kitty wrote:
I'm imagining it's an open fingered two handed alternating brushing of the air vertically in front of the hypnotizee's eyes. :lol: does this make sense?
Yes. That's the same way I imagined it, only with one hand instead of two. :)
That's probably more like it.
donnie wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:38 am
Kitty wrote:
This might be my longest review...
That's a heck of a lot of plot for that many pages. And it sounds as if it would tailor-made for a serial of some kind, appearing in different issues over a period of time.
I don't know, but it could have been many comic strips put together. Or it could have been written just for Better Little Books. I'm not sure.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie

Post by donnie »

Interesting review

I've never read anything of Tarkington, and I was kind of interested by the writing style in those excerpts, especially the paragraph starting, “Whisperings within them began to urge that for boys to undertake an enterprise...." He uses such elaborate vocabulary and such lengthy, convoluted sentences.

Is the whole book that way? If so, I wondered if the language isn't a little heavy for the subject matter. Do you think so?

That's an interesting bit about discarded books used to bind new ones. You mightn't think that would be economical, but apparently it was.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:21 pm
Interesting review

I've never read anything of Tarkington, and I was kind of interested by the writing style in those excerpts, especially the paragraph starting, “Whisperings within them began to urge that for boys to undertake an enterprise...." He uses such elaborate vocabulary and such lengthy, convoluted sentences.

Is the whole book that way?
Just paragraphs here and there to describe situations such as these. I think he uses them mostly to convey the fact that every project a child undertakes is the most important thing in the world to them in that moment --- It's black and white with them. You're either going to be killed by your parents as punishment for any wrongdoing or they won't be bothered by it a bit --- and what they don't know won't hurt them. Does that make sense?

I would recommend you reading the first Penrod. It's an easy, lighthearted read and paints vivid pictures of Penrod and Sam's adventures. I guarantee you will like it.

https://gutenberg.org/ebooks/402

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:13 pm
I would recommend you reading the first Penrod. It's an easy, lighthearted read and paints vivid pictures of Penrod and Sam's adventures. I guarantee you will like it.
Okay! Got it downloaded and will start reading tomorrow.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:40 pm
Kitty wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:13 pm
Okay! Got it downloaded and will start reading tomorrow.
Awesome! Can't wait to hear your thoughts. You can make a separate thread on it if you want to.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Progress on Penrod:
(I wasn't sure where to make a thread on this, so I'll just continue it here.) Though still fairly early in the book, I'm enjoying it very much. :D I was at first put off by Tarkington's drolly ornate writing style, but soon got to like it, as it fits the story and character very well—in fact, the book would not be nearly as entertaining in a more direct style.

My favorite part so far has been
► Show Spoiler

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Progress on Penrod:

I'm glad you're enjoying it. It always takes me a chapter or two to get into any book, as the voice of the book is always different from the previous one I'd gotten used to.
► Show Spoiler