From Popular Science...

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Re: From Popular Science...

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:39 am
I did a little research about this, and the only thing I can conclude is that maybe it soothed their anxiety a bit, as I hear tobacco can calm you and take the edge off. They for sure knew that smoking wasn't healthy, and, contrary to popular belief, doctors didn't really recommend smoking to their patients. Using doctors as a 'mascot', so to speak, was a marketing ploy to ease growing concerns of the negative health effects of smoking. These campaigns began in the 1920s with popular brand Lucky Strike, and other brands put their own spins on that until around 1954 when it just became too obvious a lie to keep on going with. The 'surveys' that were claimed (aka 9 out of 10 doctors say!) were skewed and performed by the tobacco companies themselves, so can't be relied on.
That's interesting. I didn't realize to what extent all this was pure marketing concoction with no basis. Practically every PS from those days had a Camel ad on the entire back cover pitching the doctor-recommended, health-promoting angle. I'll post a couple of those.

Yes, I figured the inclusion of the cigarettes was just a morale builder, of sorts.
Kitty wrote:
At first, I agreed with you, but then wondered what types of ready-to-eat foods you might mean? The foods they were sent had to be non perishable things, and MREs weren't used until the 80s.
I don't know, I figured they might have had some kind of rations the military used for soldiers on the go—something like maybe tinned chipped beef in those sardine-style cans? Well, the ham and eggs in a can would have been something along that order, I guess. By the way, how the heck would you put butter in can without it spoiling?

I also wonder why they didn't include some type of canned vegetable or fruit, and put the ascorbic acid in with that for vitamin C.
Kitty wrote:
Oh, and the word 'invalid' used in this way always gets me. The first time I heard that word in that context, I read it in a book set in the 1700s. I was like how rude! How is she invalid because she can't walk?! :lol:
Yes, we've improved in some of terminology (and in some of the assumptions behind our terminology. :))

donnie

Post by donnie »

A back-cover Camel ad from the 40's. Notice how it's a two step process: the top of the ad encourages respect for doctors, then the bottom part reveals the doctor recommendation. :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 10.17.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 10.17.07 AM.png (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2410 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

Another. I will have to admit I like the look and feel of these ads, though, even though the product isn't great.

"But he asks no quarter." I've never heard that expression. It seems I've heard the phrase "brook no quarter," though I don't know what that means, either.
Attachments
568596847.png
568596847.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 2402 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I remember that 't-zone' thing was part of the speech of the camel commercials on radio during shows. When I was reading about this the other day, it mentioned that the survey that was done was taken only after the doctors were presented free packs of Camels, so what were they going to say? :lol:
I still wish doctors did house calls nowadays. Do you remember when they did house calls and around what year they stopped?
I hadn't heard either of the 'quarter' phrases, so I looked them up. I think here it means he asks for no praise, but that's not really what it means.

No quarter means one will be treated terribly. It's usually used in wartime to express that a soldier won't be taken prisoner, and will be killed.

By the way, in my 1883 book I'm reading, there's a small article speaking against the bad health effects of smoking. Yes, they're talking to boys specifically in that, but it shows they knew even back then that it was unhealthy.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:06 am
I remember that 't-zone' thing was part of the speech of the camel commercials on radio during shows.
Yes, the "T-Zone" was common thing in their ads all along. I'll post one below. They always touted Camels were as superior to other brands because they didn't cause throat irritation. That sounds completely bogus—smoke is smoke. Unless they claimed it was the specific blend of leaf, but I'd still be skeptical there could be a difference.
Kitty wrote:
I still wish doctors did house calls nowadays. Do you remember when they did house calls and around what year they stopped?
No, I don't remember doctors ever making house calls. Would be nice, though. :) Well, now you have telehealth visits, so maybe that's kind of like a pseudo-house call, I guess.
Kitty wrote:
By the way, in my 1883 book I'm reading, there's a small article speaking against the bad health effects of smoking. Yes, they're talking to boys specifically in that, but it shows they knew even back then that it was unhealthy.
How about that! Did they name any specific health effects? I know athletes were often discouraged from smoking because it "cut the wind," but that's the only mention I've seen in old literature.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 10.16.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 10.16.43 AM.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 2392 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 5:48 pm
How about that! Did they name any specific health effects? I know athletes were often discouraged from smoking because it "cut the wind," but that's the only mention I've seen in old literature.
I'll make sure that's the first article I post about this week, and then I can answer your question.

It's funny how Camel acts as if throat irritation is the only I'll effect of smoking.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

One more. If you're a major league baseball fan, there are some legendary names here. I think it's interesting how they vary the wording of the supposed testimonials to repeat the magic words "mildness" and "flavor." :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 8.05.35 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 8.05.35 PM.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 2386 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

A popular feature of the '40's issues was the What's Your Ingenuity Quotient? with readers invited to send in their smart ideas.
Attachments
IMG_0880.PNG
IMG_0880.PNG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 2119 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

The MontaMower was a frequent denizen on the backs of PS issues in the '50's. Notice how the size of the mower is exaggerated in the drawing. According to the description, it's only 16 inches in width, which is a pretty tiny swath; in the illustration it appears about a yard wide. Also note the clothing. :)

Somewhere a long time ago, I saw where someone had purchased a vintage one of these things and reviewed it. I don't remember the details, but the gist was that it was a piece of junk. ;)
Attachments
IMG_0879.PNG
IMG_0879.PNG (3.69 MiB) Viewed 1947 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

PS had a monthly feature called "New Ideas from the Inventors". Some of the ideas were actually pretty good. Others, well... :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 9.22.46 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-10-10 at 9.22.46 PM.jpg (792.66 KiB) Viewed 1440 times