Sheet Music Covers

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
donnie

Sheet Music Covers

Post by donnie »

Here is a cover I like. Great title, too! :) This is one of the songs featured in the Ingenues All Girl Band Vitaphone short. They play it at a very fast tempo, which I think kind of suits it. Apparently this was very popular in the late 20's.
Attachments
Keep Sweeping Cobwebs off the Moon.jpg
Keep Sweeping Cobwebs off the Moon.jpg (80.49 KiB) Viewed 4959 times

Kitty

Re: Sheet Music Covers

Post by Kitty »

Fantastic idea for a thread! My dad had hundreds of sheet music in his shop. I always liked this cover. So very pretty in full color!
I have still never heard this song. I was just fascinated by the pretty color.
Attachments
il_570xN.71594617.jpg
il_570xN.71594617.jpg (82.21 KiB) Viewed 4956 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's some fabulous artwork. You're right, the color palette is amazing, and also the artist's variety of brushstrokes, and how there is that glowing cast light in the shadow.

Did you notice the little star appliqué (or whatever you call those)? Those must have been popular in the 20's. I remember that Bebe Daniels wears one in Why Change Your Wife? with Thomas Meighan and Gloria Swanson (great film, if you haven't seen it).

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I didn't really think of it being a star! Yes, kind of odd. I've seen movies where that Are dressing up and put a dot on their cheek with makeup.
I feel like I've posted these covers in another thread, but I'm posting it here, too. Dad had a framed copy of this in the doorway at the shop. I'm pretty sure this is the one. Yes! We Have No Bananas.
Attachments
yes_no_bananas.JPG
yes_no_bananas.JPG (113.69 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:D How did your father come to have all that sheet music?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:00 pm
:D How did your father come to have all that sheet music?
Not really sure. He sold it in his store.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:37 am
Did you notice the little star appliqué (or whatever you call those)? Those must have been popular in the 20's.
Their popularity seems to have lasted all the way to 1929! There's a bunch of glamor shots of Clara Bow from that year, even into 1930, with those appliques in just about every possible shape: a star, a heart, a crescent moon, a simple dot, etc.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

So I was watching an old Carson from the 60s last night, and he had gone into the audience, asking them to stump Skitch Henderson and his band by requesting songs that they might not know. One older lady stood up and asked for a song called "Did You?" They didn't recognize the name, so she sang a few bars of the song (so sweetly!!), and this was the song! Unfortunately, I cannot find an audio of the song online.
Cover.jpg
Cover.jpg (439.01 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
service-music-edison3-100009632-003v.jpg
service-music-edison3-100009632-003v.jpg (325.6 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (311.87 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (336.43 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
Attachments
Back.jpg
Back.jpg (445.5 KiB) Viewed 3824 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here's a crossover sheet music/silent film photo.
I've Lost You So Why Should I Care? With Theda on the cover!
Attachments
Sheet_music_cover_-_I'VE_LOST_YOU_SO_WHY_SHOULD_I_CARE_(variant)(1916).jpg
Sheet_music_cover_-_I'VE_LOST_YOU_SO_WHY_SHOULD_I_CARE_(variant)(1916).jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 3365 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

I've lately taken up the ukulele (and having such fun with it! :D ). I have a Patreon membership with a creator who does a lot of good arrangements of classical guitar repertoire for uke. And he recently posted the music of an old-fashioned Hawaiian waltz from the Kamiki Ukulele Method, published in 1916 during the first uke boom in the late teens. I thought that was pretty cool. :) I have the sheet music downloaded, but haven't learned it yet.
Attachments
47585739.png
47585739.png (5.16 MiB) Viewed 788 times