Sheet Music Covers

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: Sheet Music Covers

Post by Kitty »

Oh, that is so cool!!! We have my husband's grandfather's ukulele and I was learning tico tico on it at one point.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:05 pm
We have my husband's grandfather's ukulele and I was learning tico tico on it at one point.
What kind of uke is it? Soprano? Brand? Regular high G, C, E, A tuning?

And why didn't you finish learning? :evil: (Though I'm a good one to talk about starting and not finishing things. :roll: )

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:22 am
Kitty wrote:
We have my husband's grandfather's ukulele and I was learning tico tico on it at one point.
What kind of uke is it? Soprano? Brand? Regular high G, C, E, A tuning?

And why didn't you finish learning? :evil: (Though I'm a good one to talk about starting and not finishing things. :roll: )
Well, I'm stupid and just realized it's a mandolin :oops: . Either way, I did learn tico tico on it, and I guess I just lost interest. I never really learned how to hold it right, and would lay it flat on my lap while plunking the strings.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Well, I'm stupid and just realized it's a mandolin :oops: . Either way, I did learn tico tico on it, and I guess I just lost interest.
:lol: Well, one song is better than none.
Kitty wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:34 pm
I never really learned how to hold it right, and would lay it flat on my lap while plunking the strings.
I found that with my ukulele, I have to use a strap. When playing guitar I preferred not to have one, but with a small instrument it’s almost a necessity unless you’re just strumming chords.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Nice Clara Bow sheet music cover. I like the way the C surrounds her head.

A pdf is available online for another song from the movie, I've Found My Man, and glancing at that one, it includes the ukulele chords, so I guess this one does, also. :)
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (575.32 KiB) Viewed 71 times

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:02 pm
A pdf is available online for another song from the movie, I've Found My Man, and glancing at that one, it includes the ukulele chords, so I guess this one does, also. :)
Ooh! Got the link?
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:33 pm
Ooh! Got the link?
Here you go!
https://digitalcollections.oscars.org/d ... ll6/id/119

Looking at it, a couple of questions: The one-line samples of songs from the other film is interesting; I didn't know they did that. But I wonder what you could get from just that little bit (and only the melody line at that) to interest you in buying the song? Maybe that was just a way of helping to identify it, if you'd seen the film? What do you think?

Also, notice the uke tuning is given (standard for today, though I understand they often used a higher tuning in the '20s, which I guess is why the specify this one). But I don't understand the asterisk with "Symbols for Guitar" at bottom. Is that the matching asterisk to the left of the F chord grid? If so, that's a uke grid and wouldn't work on guitar (?)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Wow. How did I miss that collection?

Here's a wistful song called Back To That Old Silver Screen from 1929, dedicated to Rudolph Valentino, Barbara La Marr, Wallace Reid, Larry Semon, and Theodore Roberts - all stars who had passed away by then.

BackToThatOldSilverScreen_SheetMusicCover.jpg
BackToThatOldSilverScreen_SheetMusicCover.jpg (161.99 KiB) Viewed 42 times
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:18 pm
Wow. How did I miss that collection?
Yes, I was surprised at having never run across that also.

I like to hear what that waltz-song sounded like. (I'm not a pianist, though I suppose I could approximate it on uke.)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:35 pm

I like to hear what that waltz-song sounded like. (I'm not a pianist, though I suppose I could approximate it on uke.)
There are apps where you can scan sheet music and it will play it for you! You should look around and see what works best for you.