From the Sears catalog...

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: From the Sears catalog...

Post by Kitty »

Thanks for clearing that up! I have been still thinking about that since I said it.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Of course, since this is a condition that is associated with pregnancy, that brings up the chilling realization that women who were expecting were apparently being urged to use arsenic wafers. :o :(

donnie

Post by donnie »

Pills for women and men. Quite a list of conditions cured, isn't it? (Open image in new tab to increase size.)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 4.53.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 4.53.39 PM.png (1.86 MiB) Viewed 4650 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:47 pm
Of course, since this is a condition that is associated with pregnancy, that brings up the chilling realization that women who were expecting were apparently being urged to use arsenic wafers. :o :(
True!! I haven't​ thought of that.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 4:57 pm
Pills for women and men. Quite a list of conditions cured, isn't it? (Open image in new tab to increase size.)
It's interesting that in the women's side it says (in the midst of telling you all the things it will cure)it says this is not a cure all. On the men's side, it mentions to beware of quack doctors, which is fancy words for this treatment is not fake. (Which it most certainly was. I think the makers knew that.)
$3.00 would have been a lot of money back then.
Also, these diseases that it cures are curiously specific. :lol:
Early decay?! What the heck?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 6:20 pm
Early decay?! What the heck?
That does sound oddly vague. I think a lot of these "illnesses" are euphemisms for varying types of sexual disfunction. I'm not sure about that one, but obviously some are in the men's pills. I guess customers would catch on to what was meant.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

"Sense of goneness"! Man, that's like real gone.

Once I toured the Yuengling brewery in Pennsylvania and the guide mentioned that at the turn of the last century doctors used to recommend their porter as a source of nutrition for pregnant women. Yup, beer.

I used to know a woman who was a chemical engineer (should certainly know better, right?) and yet swore by homeopathy. I'll never understand that. Guess chemical doesn't translate into biological.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

donnie

Post by donnie »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 5:36 am
Once I toured the Yuengling brewery in Pennsylvania and the guide mentioned that at the turn of the last century doctors used to recommend their porter as a source of nutrition for pregnant women. Yup, beer.
I'm not surprised. Here is another page from the 1902 Sears advertising a malt and hops concoction. Among the people it's recommended for are pregnant women—and babies. :roll:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 8.00.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 8.00.04 AM.png (1.95 MiB) Viewed 4635 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Cake will do much the same thing. :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, and more cheaply! But there aren't a whole lot of people around today with this need. :? :)