From the Sears catalog...

This is the place for talking about vintage books, posting random vintage photos, and anything else vintage paper memorabilia!
Kitty

Re: From the Sears catalog...

Post by Kitty »

Yes, actually that reminds me that there were numbers in our cursive book in second grade, but they only taught us the letters.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Some girls' clothing. In the clothing sections of these early catalogs, the apparel itself seems to be drawn and a photographed head placed atop it. I think the poses they give the figures are interesting—distinctly Victorian, and rather odd to modern eyes.
Attachments
girls'.jpg
girls'.jpg (3.1 MiB) Viewed 3561 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I like that the measurements are listed instead of s m l xl. Much more accurate back then. These are the kinds of dresses that a little girl might get in big trouble if she sat in the cinders wearing it.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Say what?
Attachments
reefer.jpg
reefer.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 3560 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I was curious, and looked this up. First I looked up reefer jacket. The first definition was:
a thick, close-fitting, double-breasted jacket.

Another, clearer definition was the following:

reefer jacket
NOUN [COUNTABLE] BRITISH

a jacket made of thick dark-blue wool, worn especially by sailors

I then looked up reefer, and one definition was the following:

reef·er

a refrigerated truck, railroad car, or ship.

So it does make sense! Hope this was enlightening. It was to me!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, thanks for the research! That does make sense. I'm glad there's an explanation for it. :D

Did you notice the descriptions? "The swellest reefer of the season"..."a very nobby and swell double-breasted reefer..." I've heard "swell" of course as a slang word, but not with an -est on it. "Nobby"—I haven't a clue.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

From Merriam Webster's dictionary:

Nobby comes from the noun "nob," which is used in British English to mean "one in a superior position in life." ("Nob" may have begun as a slang word for "head," but etymologists aren't completely sure. A possible connection to "noble" has been suggested as well.)

Who knew we would learn so much from a 100 year old Sears catalogue??

donnie

Post by donnie »

:D So "nobby" then I guess would mean like refined, high society? Another language thing I've noticed: the continuous use of the word "cheap" to describe the company and the products. Today "cheap" a lot of the time suggests poor quality. A company would say "inexpensive" or more likely "affordable." Apparently "cheap" didn't have that negative connotation then.

Here is another clothing page. I don't see a lot of difference between these. :?: I guess the exact design at the bottom was important.
Attachments
womens'.jpg
womens'.jpg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 3555 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes, it's the design on the skirts. It's funny what they considered 'short' back then. I guess that means the ankles were visible!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Oh, I understand now. They were short enough not to drag the ground so they wouldn't get wet and the hem wouldn't get in the way if you walking vigorously. I didn't pick up on that. Still pretty long though.

Besides getting custom-made clothes, you could also prescribe your own eyeglasses and order them from Sears.
Attachments
spectacles.jpg
spectacles.jpg (2.82 MiB) Viewed 3551 times